The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I can remember seeing, mfg. made rifles with a trap door mag. I. have never liked the trap door, have always liked the detachable mag. However, in the past, it always seemed you were stuck with the trap door mag. I, have noticed with in the passed several years, more and more mfg. are comming out with detachable mags. What do you guys think about this. .I, made a mistake the title should read, Detachable mag. vs trap door. Ok, ,I did not know what, I was refering to was called a mag. with a trap door. Then trapdoor vs. detatchable mag.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
grcsat,
With a blind magazine if the cartridges left it after, say a day of hunting, all the cartridges have to cycled with the bolt to unload it, were as a magazine with a floor plate all you have to do is unlatch the floor plate to unload the magazine of cartridges. Both are usually found in bolt action rifles, but there are some types of auto loading firearms that have blind magazine, I.E., M1 Garand. As examples of blind and floor plate, tge Remington 700 ADL has blind box magazine, were the 700 BDL and 700 CDL magazine has a floor plate.

·
Super Moderator
10,795 Posts
A Browning Bar has a hinged magazine that keeps the Mag attached to the firearm but is also detachable I'm not sure of other manufactures that operate that way our resident expert on Browning Bars can chime in @rawright54

A detachable magazine (DM) can get lost in the heat of battle or just fall out of your pocket when in the field. (loose them)
A hinged floorplate is not as convenient for reloading fast. (one at a time from the top)
personally I like a DM for speed.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
one3,
I was told by a tech rep at Ruger that proliferation of drop box magazines in their bolt action rifles is to aid hunters unloading their rifles after a days hunt so as to not drop cartridges by accident when unloading their rifle. Also. The competition series PRS stock rifle class requires a drop box magazine because in some of the stages fired will require more rounds fired then most rifles can hold, so a replacement magazine is needed, plus again it makes unloading the rifle easier and more important, safer.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Thank you. I wasn't sure of the terminoligy.
The trap door mag system was also used in making custom Mauser rifles.
I still have a few of them kicking around from a few of the rifles I have built in the past. Kind of funny , in school we always refered to them as removable box magazines.

All my hunting rifles are converted to to the hinged floor plate style. I never load from the top but I flip the rifle over and load from the bottom. I even do this with my sks rifle.
It is fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
As I shoot a lot of single shots and doubles, as well as several bolt rifles, obviously speed or rate of fire is of little to no concern to me. Precision and accuracy are of significantly greater importance. I also like nice rifles with one degree or another of some tasteful engraving. I much prefer the hinged floor plate to any box or detachable magazine and I don't care for the rattle, clink, snap and banging around associated with a lot of box magazines. The hinged floor plate is a perfect place for engraving and I find the various means of latching the floor plate interesting. As far as being safe....if you can unload all the cartridges at once an not cycle them through the action, can it be any more safe? If you drop a cartridge or two, that is no fault of the magazine.

For rapid fire competition or combat I can assuredly see the desire for a detachable box. Those are completely opposite a hunting or non-competition based range visit.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I prefer a hinged floor plate magazine, it is safer to unload and much easier to place on a shooting bag. I reload my own rounds and sometimes extend my bullets out to the L and G’s and the hinged floor plate magazine just gives you a little more room.
is there a story to "mudslideslim" that you would like to share? inquiring minds would like to know" NO is an answer.

rick

Thank you. I wasn't sure of the terminoligy.
The trap door mag system was also used in making custom Mauser rifles.
I still have a few of them kicking around from a few of the rifles I have built in the past. Kind of funny , in school we always refered to them as removable box magazines.

All my hunting rifles are converted to to the hinged floor plate style. I never load from the top but I flip the rifle over and load from the bottom. I even do this with my sks rifle.
It is fast and easy once you get the hang of it.
i never gave a thought to bottom loading. the stuff i learn here is fabulous. thanks

rick

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
i never gave a thought to bottom loading. the stuff i learn here is fabulous. thanks

rick
Go far enough north and you will find that in the cold , it is much easier to bottom load verses top load wearing gloves.
The other thing I learned while up north is to never try on a pair of mitts that don't have a place for your thumb.( eskimo/execution) lol

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I, was not sure of the termonagoy,. I always called, the hinged door, a trap door. What I, was getting at was, for me I, always liked the detetachable mag. To me every thing seemd safer and easer. push a button, out comes the mag, work the bolt, the chamber is un loaded. It judt seemd like all the mfg. proudced the hinged type.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Go far enough north and you will find that in the cold , it is much easier to bottom load verses top load wearing gloves.
The other thing I learned while up north is to never try on a pair of mitts that don't have a place for your thumb.( eskimo/execution) lol
grew up in Michigan, learned about guns, shooting, and hunting from family. i never saw anyone bottom load any gun. i think that is a very neat idea. it will get a try next time i get a chance. also did a but-load of hunting in Florida and south Georgia. that is a lot of hunters that did not bottom load. as to north, have hunted in north Wisconsin and Konora Canada. yes it was cold, and still no bottom loaders. man you are the first on that for sure. thanks

rick

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
For hunting purposes, I prefer a hinged floor plate. In time a detachable mag can become loose and rattle.
Me too. When my oldest son used to hunt with me he carried a Remington 788 which had a detatcheable box mag. I used to have to put a strip of duct tape on it to keep it from rattling.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
grew up in Michigan, learned about guns, shooting, and hunting from family. i never saw anyone bottom load any gun. i think that is a very neat idea. it will get a try next time i get a chance. also did a but-load of hunting in Florida and south Georgia. that is a lot of hunters that did not bottom load. as to north, have hunted in north Wisconsin and Konora Canada. yes it was cold, and still no bottom loaders. man you are the first on that for sure. thanks

rick
It was something I had learned while up in the artic circle.
It dose take some practice but once you get used to it , you can load while looking at your target/game and not your rifle.
It also comes in handy if you have to load in the dark.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I, was not sure of the termonagoy,. I always called, the hinged door, a trap door. What I, was getting at was, for me I, always liked the detetachable mag. To me every thing seemd safer and easer. push a button, out comes the mag, work the bolt, the chamber is un loaded. It judt seemd like all the mfg. proudced the hinged type.
I'm glad you cleared that up. For the life of me I was trying to picture a trapdoor rifle with a detatceable magazine.Or any magazine at all. LOL

·
TFFWPP President
13,751 Posts
I prefer my bolt action hunting rifles to have neither, like my older Savage 270. The last thing I want is for a magazine to fall out-rattle or a hinged floor plate to get popped open by tree branch. My newer Savage 25-06 has a detachable magazine and I worry about the plastic latch breaking

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I prefer a trap door or hinged in bolt actions and magazine in a self loader,although a magazine can get lost where a fixed/trap door/etc is always there...Another problem with a magazine fed firearm-if it's strange or unusual-finding is next to impossible or when you do,you pay dearly......I bought a couple boxes of old firearm parts-some interesting stuff-1 was a Type 99 mag/cherry-traded it to a Class3 dealer for 600$ worth of parts and some black powder frames,etc-that I gave to a friend.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I prefer the Mod 700 ADL type magazine but I have several rifle's with hinged floor plates and detachable magazine's. I have heard of problems with hinged floor plates falling open when the gun was fired, Even knew a guy that had one! Also heard of the detachable mag's doing the same thing. Have had three Mod 788's and never had that problem. Have two Mossberg Patriot's with them right now and no problem, but with the Mossberg's it could be a problem as I found to seat the magazine's properly I have to install one then bump it with the heel of my hand to get it to lock in well. Biggest problem it cause though was simply remembering to do it. I still prefer the 700 ADL type action though. Never have to think about that. If a guy like's the detachable magazine then he should get it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts