The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I inherited this Boys Kentucky Rifle 1849. Its in very good condition and nicely mounted and framed. I am interested in placing value on it, even if its ballpark. I appreciate your time and thoughts on this!

Thank you, J

Office supplies Tool Wood Font Box
Wood Hand tool Artifact Tool Antique tool

Helmet Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Vehicle door

Wood Writing implement Air gun Cylinder Gun accessory
Wood Tool Blade Knife Everyday carry
Rectangle Wood Font Nameplate Number

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
It is impossible to give you a value based on the pics you have provided. The reason being that a boys (youth) rifle is determined with a ruler and micrometer.
If in fact you do have a youth rifle, then the value would be around $1,000+.
All the Youth rifles I have ever seen have had the maker's name stamped on the rifle. This is because they were individually made, and no source parts were avable , meaning every single part was hand made. Note, there are always exceptions.
These rifles were not cheap when made.
9 out of 10 youth rifles that are found today are fakes, so please take your rifle to an appraiser.

Now to add a bit more confusion on the subject is that a boys rifle is a relatively new term and not commonly used at the time the rifle was built. ( yes there were a few youth rifles built and most were rather fancy)
In the past there were two types of rifles. A child's rifle and a regular rifle.
I have documented a few so-called boy's rifles only to find out that the rifles were never made for a youth , but for grandma who was five foot nothing and couldn't hold a full-size rifle. That story keeps repeating itself over and over .
So please take your rifle to an appraiser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is impossible to give you a value based on the pics you have provided. The reason being that a boys (youth) rifle is determined with a ruler and micrometer.
If in fact you do have a youth rifle, then the value would be around $1,000+.
All the Youth rifles I have ever seen have had the maker's name stamped on the rifle. This is because they were individually made, and no source parts were avable , meaning every single part was hand made. Note, there are always exceptions.
These rifles were not cheap when made.
9 out of 10 youth rifles that are found today are fakes, so please take your rifle to an appraiser.

Now to add a bit more confusion on the subject is that a boys rifle is a relatively new term and not commonly used at the time the rifle was built. ( yes there were a few youth rifles built and most were rather fancy)
In the past there were two types of rifles. A child's rifle and a regular rifle.
I have documented a few so-called boy's rifles only to find out that the rifles were never made for a youth , but for grandma who was five foot nothing and couldn't hold a full-size rifle. That story keeps repeating itself over and over .
So please take your rifle to an appraiser.
Fantastic, thank you so much for the comprehensive background on this rifle! I really appreciate your time. Do you have any recommended appraiser in the Los Angeles area?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Sorry, LA is a little out of my territory. I live in Canada.
But there are some very good appraisers on the west cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts