The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fool around loading up some black powder .45-70 rounds for an old, break-open H&R "Shikari" rifle with a 24" bbl. These are basically low-pressure "trapdoor" strength loads: 60 grains 3Fg under cast 350 or 405 grain bullets. I'm using Starline brass.
Question: how many loads of this sort can be put through this brass before I have to worry about case length and trimming?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Depends on how well you take care of your brass. When shooting bp loads, you need to clean them well very soon after firing. I have loaded bp 45/70 brass 10+ times.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on how well you take care of your brass. When shooting bp loads, you need to clean them well very soon after firing. I have loaded bp 45/70 brass 10+ times.
Oh, I clean the heck out of them right after shooting, then give them a tumble as well. So, I take it you haven't had to worry about trimming the cases to proper length during the course of your 10+ uses?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are you sizing them all the way back or just neck sizing? That will make a big difference. I only neck size mine and get three or four loads before having to knock 'em back down.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
You have a straight-wall case that stretches? I've only found that happening with bottleneck cases.

Maybe black powder makes a difference, but just like 38 specials, loaded dozens of times, have never grow and need trimmed, and 45 ACPs, loaded dozens of times, have never grown and need trimmed, I have not yet had a 45/70 grow and need trimmed. Although, I'll admit, I've only loaded them about five or six times.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have personally loaded Starline brass for the 45-70 more then 20+ times. I check case length every 5 to 10 loads and anneal the brass every 5 rounds if they are stout loads, if they are light then maybe every 10. I only trim if they get to 2.100 or more and then I will trim back to 2.095

I think I have only trimmed 1 maybe 2 times and not all cases needed it.

Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts