Bragging rights/qualifications?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Islandboy, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

O.K. so in the short time I've been checking this site and all its forums I've come to the conclusion that there is some serious experise floating around, either by training/profession or by decades of experience, and probably a "born with it" or two thrown in.

Time to lay down some credentials? not literally, just a summary.

Just for fun, I think it may become Impressive if you tally it up.

2. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Are you asking us to reveal our lives to you Isandboy?*srcastic tone*

3. muddober

muddober Active Member

I think there are a lot of very knowledgable people on this forum. I believe some are very well read and have a lot of experience and there are others who are new to firearms and are here to learn. Me personally I have been reloading for over 50 years and have reloading dies for as many different calibers. However, the newest reloading manual I have is about 15 years old so I am unfamilar with a lot of new things and as such I learn from here and I am also able to share my experience from time to time as well. I sometimes get a little frustrated when someone starts off by saying "this might be a dumb question" when if fact it was a very intellegent question and just because he or she did not know the answer it was not dumb. Also you can look up members on the members list and several of them provide a flavor of their backgrounds.

Ron

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

My fater has been a gunsmith since before I was born. I grew up around firearms and reloading techniques. My father was also a collector. I have been around vintage firearms all mylife literaly. I have been handloading since I was about 10 but never got a good understanding for it till I started loading my own at 16. I also have lots of literature of all sorts on firearms ranging from manuals and military specks. I am no whare nearly as knowledgable as my father but I listen and I have a lot of personal experiences with a lot of diffrent models, types, calibers, and manufactures.
    I will offer my advise when I feel I can help or when I have an opinion but for the most part I watch to learn. I have see several on here who have very good knowledge and I feel I can benifit from what they have to offer.

5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

hello island boy.. i have been playing with guns since i was 18.....25 now, last time i wrote down all the guns i could just remember i think i have owned close to 70 differant ones. that doesnt mean im an expert by any means on guns.... what it does mean is that i like to trade... but not so much any more... i pretty much get what i want and keep it now.

6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Despite your suggestion being for 'a summary' I think it an unwise move on an open forum that can be read by anyone on the planet. There is an anonymity that not only protects privacy but in a few cases the very safety of members. This is more the case today with enemies among us than ever before.

In practice many members here have become friends outside the forum, and know who they are, but that has been done with the consent of both members.

If you hang out here a little longer you will realise the BS level is almost zero, and what little there is, in good natured humour. You will observe 'braggers' dont last long around here. Now, getting back to my time in the SAS....:D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Tranter, what color is the boathouse at Hereford? :p

8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

What's Hereford?

Nha seriously, I was never a member of that regiment, not smart enough. I did spend a short time there, around 76/77 and have no recollection of a boat house. I spent most of my time in the paludrin club! I do recall going clay pidgeon shooting one weekend, and a friend who was based there brought the shotgun, which turned out to have about a 12" barrel!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
  9. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

What kind of jobs can you hold with the Federal Government, if you have a Top Secret Security Clearance?

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That would probably make you eligible to be President, it is probably higher than Yomama's!!:D:D

11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Didn't see "Ronin"? Robert DeNiro is a mercenary, being hired for a snatch job. One of the others claims to have been SAS, but DeNiro thinks he's BSing. He asks him, several times (getting all up in his face, until the poser is shown to be a fake), "What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?" Later another one of the team comes up to DeNiro and says, "What IS the color of the boathouse at Hereford?" DeNiro says, "How the hell should I know?" :D Good scene.

12. oldogy

oldogy New Member

The internet has been responsible for the making of many experts on many subjects:D Just ask them.
    oldogy.

13. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Hey Tranter, yes, I agree after I posted I realized perhaps not a good idea.
    Didn't post earlier, was travelling, now moving up coast. to Ga.

I kinda thought some of ya must know each other well, which only lends a friendlier face to TFF.
    It's all good.

P.M. me if you would care to know why I asked about Expertise, there was a reason. That goes for any of you guys I've been posting with.
    You might call it an Invitation.