The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one help I have a brass tumbler I use ground walnut as media and I keep get media still inside my brass and its not cleaning very good I let it tumble for 45min to an hour am I doing some thing wrong having to clean brass with a q tip is getting old

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I tumble with plain white rice.
Spent primer still in the primer pocket.
I don't worry if inside brass is clean.
[you don't want media stuck inside though]

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Do you use a liquid polish additive? If so, be sure to tumble without the brass for about 20 min. I use walnut with polish and run for 3-4 hrs on a timer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I don't use the brass polish should I

·
Registered
761 Posts
Try a package of kook-aid with water let soak a bit. You can even add vinager to it for extra strength. ( old navy trick for shining brass ). Then tumble as wooly said. Works good for me. Just dry brass in dryer before you tumble.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Many additives can be used to hasten the cleaning process, the walnut media is usually rather quick. If you are not seeing results after one hour I would suggest reducing the amount of brass. If the media seems to be clinging to your brass toss cut up dryer sheets in while tumbling. Seperate your brass and toss em back in the empty tumbler at let it run for a minute, although very loud it will help the remaing kernels seperate from the inside of the casings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Add several tea-spoons of tumbler polish to dry media and let it run with no brass in it until you don't see any lumps anymore. (should only need to add polish every few weeks of months depending on how often you tumble) Wipe most of the brass lube off your cases before you throw them into the tumbler. Then...45 minutes is not long enough, I like to let them tumble over night. If you follow this, all the media should dump right out of the brass. If you use the "fine" ground media, it won't plug the flash-holes either. (remember to "poke" any media out of the flash holes if it doesn't just fall out)..........Don in SC

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
No I don't use the brass polish should I
I think you should.

I would not use brasso or anything with amonia in it. Amonia can hurt your brass over time.

you can buy products from reloading suppliers, but if you go to Autozone or a parts store and get some Nu Finish car polish it works great.

just a few squirts is all you need, don't use too much or you will end up wiping it off later

I use corn cobb media and walnut together
also, only tumbling for 45 minutes isn't long enough. I usually run 3 hours minium

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't think you need to add any polish to the media. I let my brass tumble for anywhere from a couple of hours to my normal time of about 24 hours. I have forgotten about it and have let it vibrate for a week, hasn't hurt anything, yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ty all for the tips I will in ploy them next weekend when I'm home and let u know how they turned out

·
Registered
13 Posts
I add a few tablespoons of Bon Ami powder cleanser to my walnut or corn cob media in a full size Thumler's Tumbler and have no residue problems. Bon Ami is non-toxic, bio-degradeable, and very inexpensive at the grocery store or Walmart. Just make sure you allow the cleaning media and Bon Ami to run in your tumbler for a few minutes before adding your dirty brass. If you do find residue, add the cut-up dryer sheets that another member recommended.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A cap full of NuFinish car wax in tumbler, run for 5 minutes. Cut up used dryer sheet and add brass. Tumble 3 hrs. Comes out like new. Walnut media is fine. Save a few dollars and buy lizard litter from pet supply like Pet Smart. Like stated above you can add one cup uncooked white rice. Dryer sheet catches any dust.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just a question to clarify, you have a tumbler, or a vibrating cleaner? I have a vibrating setup, takes at least 2 hrs with walnut/corncob media and Nufinish, longer if you have some old brass thats been sitting awhile and gotten tarnished, great results every time, I clean/vibrate the brass before de-capping/sizing, then clean the primer pockets and vibrate again, maybe for an hour or so,

I don't know how long it should take for a tumbler, I have a small rock tumbler that seals up and is made for a liquid/media combo, but never used a real "tumbler" for brass, just the vibrating setup,

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
When I first started reloading, I used a rock tumbler that was made for liquid media. I usually used walnut media back then. Even then I would let it tumble for a minimum of two hours and it worked very well. I gave that rock tumbler to my neighbor a few years ago and he is still tumbling brass with it. I have been using a Lyman vibrator type tumbler for the past 20 or so years.

Jack, I'm curious, why do you do a second tumbling after you deprime and clean the primer pocket?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I find with my Thumler anything less than 2 hours, with corn cob and lyman media mix, is just wasted time. I let it go for 4 to 6 hours minimum, even when I add the polish. They come out near perfect inside and out.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i use a combo of white rice and corncob ( treated ) augmented with a lil rouge treated walnut and wheat litter.

so far so good. sometimes I put a lil nufinish car wax in it.

i might get an occasional piecs in a flash hole.. but nothing that doesn't push out with a deprime.

are you putting them in the tumbler wet?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Jack, I'm curious, why do you do a second tumbling after you deprime and clean the primer pocket?
I don't really have a good reason, other than I believe it helps to remove resizing lube from the outside, and possibly any that got on the inside of the case, also I'm hoping it cleans the pathway between the primer and the case, even though one of my final prepping steps is to make sure that hole/path is clear and uniform, I guess I just like extra clean brass :D

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i use a soft cloth to shine my brass after relaoding.. that removes any leftover lube.. and a flash hole cleaner / uniformer on my prep station ensures the flash hole is open.
I use either aspray lube that settles to an even waxy finish or the pad style lube that you use a lil brush for the mouth.

can't say that I've ever had a powder charge fouled due to a lube issue inthe case..

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I have tried on two occasions to tumble after resizing but had a black gunk stick to the brass. Someone told me to tumble it a little longer, which I tried, and still had the gunk. I tried wiping it off but the only thing that get the crap off the brass was scraping it off so I decided that I would never do that again.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
yep.. i don't do any tumble or vibro clean after resize.

after sizing.. it's other case prep like trime and primer pocket stuff.. etc..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts