The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a new tikka 243 the other day and decided to work up some new loads. first i made a dummy load and used it to check o.a.l so when i seated the bullet my o.a.l was 2.591 after crimping with my lee fcd, my o.a.l was 2.594 is this normal i checked it in my chamber and mag and it: cycled fine i just wondered how it got longer any advive or comment will helo thanks all.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I think you squished the bullet longer by .003

Not good for accuracy.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Try some without a crimp. Normally, a bottle necked cartridge for a bolt rifle won't need to be crimped...

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
A friend of mine has a .243, and as others have said, never crimps his. He shoots a model 70.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
x ring your right my o.a.l got longer and i will take the advice ot others and try some not crimped i was worried about the bullet falling out during hunting since these loads will be for hunting yotes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Crimping is fine just as long as you dont crimp the poo out of the bullet. I personally crimp everything I load, doesn't matter what it is. It gives me peace of mind knowing those bullets wont set back during firing ar any other activity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts