The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:Well I am out of brass used the last of it last week end and all my normal spots to get more dont have any :(( buddy's that shoot but don't reload) any one have any tips on good places to get brass with out paying out the ears for it:confused:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The best and most reliable source I've found is local shooting ranges. For pistol calibers an indoor range will normally have anything you need and lots of it. Rifle calibers may be a little harder. I know my gun club brass barrel gets picked over pretty quickly. We rent the range out to the Coast Guard once a month and they put all their brass in our barrel. Some of the guys will go to the range after dark on the day the CG shoots and collect everything.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
223 45 acp Brit 303 270 and 22-250 are the cal. I reload ATM any of them but 223 is what I am really hurting on I try to shoot with my nephew at least 2 time a month but with ammo so hard to get I am low

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
might see if you can find a box of commercial 22-250 on the shelf. have fun shooting it.. then reload the brass.

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
What do you mean, "used the last of it"?

Did you load it all up and stash it, or did you load it, shoot it and not save the brass?
I was wondering the same thing. :confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 50 round of 223 left once I trim brass as a rule 0.30 of an in I put it in my scrap bucket get 4 or 5 reloads out per brass and that 50 I have left will most likely be done next time fired my 45 brass I have around 200 rounds of it but I like to keep that on hand Brit 303 only have 40 round and its on its last reload and just flat out of the rest

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
i keep shooting and trimming mine till I notice case issues.. once I notice impending case issues.. then I trash it..

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I have 50 round of 223 left once I trim brass as a rule 0.30 of an in I put it in my scrap bucket get 4 or 5 reloads out per brass and that 50 I have left will most likely be done next time fired my 45 brass I have around 200 rounds of it but I like to keep that on hand Brit 303 only have 40 round and its on its last reload and just flat out of the rest
Yeah, you need more brass for sure. Check with some of the gun ranges, and don't forget to ask at your local scrap metal yard. I would be willing to bet that most of us have hundreds of rounds on hand, if not thousands of rounds on hand. I am another one that only tosses brass when I see signs of it being worked to much, splits, cracks, etc. I only load pistol rounds, so I save my brass, and reload what I shoot. I'm also thinking that most of the folks on the forum will get twice the loads for their brass that you do.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm poor folk so i wish I had a bunch more but if I can keep shooting my old brass I will the .30 rule was told to me by an old friend of the family last year if I can keep shooting it then I'm ok but still not very well off lol Ty for your help every one

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
How often are you trimming the 223 brass? You shouldn't need to every time and you should get more than 4 or 5 loadings out of them.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
One great way to get brass is to post a note on the job board (if they will let you) asking people to bring their fired brass. Take any caliber brought to you and then you can take what you don't shoot and recycle it or trade it at a gun show. I have been doing it for a long time at my job and sometimes I will arrive at work and there will be a bunch of brass on my desk.

Then, tell your neighbors. If you see a neighbor that is a gun person stop and shake their hand and get to know them and let tem know that you take any and all fired brass. Gun people like gun people and they will go out of their way to give it to you.

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
How often are you trimming the 223 brass? You shouldn't need to every time and you should get more than 4 or 5 loadings out of them.
i run mine thru the trim every time.. however that's because I crimp.. mind you.. not every case actually gets any trimmed. i just chuck it in and run it in.. most don't need a trim after 1 fireing.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
make friends with someone in the military or police dept, they throw away tons of once fired stuff!

otherwise, just wait about 6 months and we should be back up and running accross the country as far as overall supply. Demand is just through the roof now, it will come back. Just like the last two elections. PITA? yep.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i just got some 10mm auto from midway today, and they had been out for a month... so i think supplies are starting buck up again, or so it seems...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Fasted,

I have some brand new 223 brass. Lake City 2011. PM me your address. I'll send you 300. Free of charge.
I have more than plenty and I will be glad to share with you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Im in the army lol with all the cuts in the budget I have not been to a range in all most a year and you can't just go and get it off the ranges we have to pick it up and turn it in
Ty you all for the help
As for trimming once they hit max length I trim them and put the in once trimmed can and so on after 3 trims I was putting them in my scrap bucket but with what I have been hearing will keep going with them till failure signs show

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
pistol brass hardly wears out, and run the rifle brass until you see signs of incipient case head separation, then toss it. I bet youre tossing perfectly good brass in the scrap heap. The primer pockets on rifle brass usually loosen up before the case goes bad. I toss mine when I get a primer that seats easy. Just mark the case and go ahead and load it, and toss it on the next cycle.

I can still get .45ACP brass down at Off Duty. Jims selling it for 50 bucks/1000, and shipping in a med flat rate box. I can get 2K in a large flat.

BTW, Steve, did your brass show up yet?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts