1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have no experience with the Frankford Arsenal tumbler personally. But, I have been using a Thumler for a few years and have no issues what-so-ever with it or the job it does on my brass. I am however interested in trying out the steel pins. I use corn cob and a little rice, with good result now. But have heard the pins do better in less time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Lyman 1200 Turbo with Aoto Flo . It seperates the media (comes with it) from the brass. It's too easy. Wear ear plugs when separating the media. Oh and put the plug back in. :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I bought one of the Frankfort tumblers off Walmart.com a few days ago, lowest price I could find at $41 shipped to my local store for pickup. I will say a few things about it that I've noticed.

One, when installing the bolts that hold the bowl to the lower, SNUG them down, don't go all ham-handed on them, they really don't need to be that tight. Mine has been running pretty well solid for the past three days and I've checked those bolts periodically and the star lock washers they supply with it do their job well. Cracking any of those three tabs will put a serious damper on your day.

Make sure it's on a level surface and it'll pretty much stay in one place, I have mine on a smooth office desk and it doesn't move a bit while running.

Tighten the wingnut holding the lid down just until it stops moving, if it's too loose the lid will rotate, and it's plastic so no torquing down on it, it really doesn't take a lot to secure it.

I've run about 300 9mm, 100 .40, 100 .39SPL and 500 .223 through it in the last three days. Corncob media on the pistol stuff, lizard litter on the necked cases. I have absolutely no complaints about it at all. I realize this isn't a long term review on it, but for $41...I can't even buy the Harbor Freight one for that with a coupon, and reviews on it are only about 50% good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mogunner,

How did you find the tumbler at Wal Mart? I've pulled all my tricks and ... nothing.

·
Super Moderator
38,464 Posts
I just, within the last 10 minutes, ordered a tumbler from Harbor Freight. The total before shipping and tax was $43.99 with the 20% off coupon I found on the interweb. Total after ship and tax was $54.55 (a few cents less that what it is listed for).

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html#.UzCLIPldXOM

I also ordered 5 pounds of the pins and they cost me more than the tumbler!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,799 Posts
I've been watching the site, seeing many converts to wet tumbling, and it's got me intrigued; I think I have to try it. But somehow I don't think the guy that runs the laundromat around the corner will like me tossing in a few pounds of stainless steel pins. I've got a cement mixer that ought to hold 20 - 30,000 cases easy. But should I use the playground sand, or the silica? The silica costs a lot more, but it's much finer.;)

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I just, within the last 10 minutes, ordered a tumbler from Harbor Freight. The total before shipping and tax was $43.99 with the 20% off coupon I found on the interweb. Total after ship and tax was $54.55 (a few cents less that what it is listed for).

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html#.UzCLIPldXOM

I also ordered 5 pounds of the pins and they cost me more than the tumbler!!
George, I haven't done my homework yet, but will the pins last a while on that unit?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Don't think I would use SS pins in a vibrating cleaner. In a tumbler the pins clean by a rubbing action in a vibrating cleaner cleaning is done by impact and I would be concerned about beating up the cases with the pins.

·
Super Moderator
38,464 Posts
George, I haven't done my homework yet, but will the pins last a while on that unit?
I don't see why they wouldn't, I am guessing that all of the rotating tub tumblers are just alike, I guess I will find out!

Reactions: Zane71464

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Ahhhh. What they call a tumbler is actually a vibrating bowl, or at least that's the way I see it. A tumbler... well, it tumbles, over and over. Here's the one from Frankfort:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713881/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-rotary-case-tumbler?cm_vc=ProductFinding

and here's the one I have:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/426185/thumlers-tumbler-model-b-high-speed-rotary-case-tumbler-110-volt?cm_vc=subv1426185

I was thinking... WOW, a tumbler for under $50?
Technically they are "vibratory tumblers"...the shape of the bowl makes the media and brass tumble from the outer edge into the middle, then to the bottom, more or less. The others are drum tumblers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts