The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to reload 357 mag. I notice that Nickle casings are more $ than brass.

Why should I want nickle over brass?

Does one hold up to reloading better?

I live near the ocean....will nickle be better.?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think it has to do with the malleability of brass v nickle. If I recall correctly, brass is not as brittle as nickle, and therefore is less likely to split when fired. And also will conform to the chamber better for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
This just my opinion/understanding and not necessarily the facts, ha.

Nickle plated cases came about to combat the corrosion that resulted from cartridges being carried in leather belts, well that is one reason I guess. I think that the nickle would hold up better when or where ever it is subjected to harsh environments and maybe why some premium ammo is loaded in nickle plated cases. Of course it does look nice.

Now my personal experience with .38spl., .357mag, and .45acp nickle plated cases is that I don't get near the life out of them that I get from regular brass. I get a lot of split nickle plated cases with much fewer reloads than I do with brass. I personally see no reason to go with nickle when talking about normal use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... I was thinking nickle would be more brittle.

I tend to keep ammo inside my house where it is air conditioned most of the time. If bulk ammo (or reloads) I tend to put in zip lock bags or ammo cases.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Nickeled brass is brass with a layer of nickel. The advantages are corrosion resistance, smoother loading, you can see if the brass is wearing and where it is wearing easily, and it is easier to see. My father used to load it for my grandfather because it was easier for him to see. One disadvantage is some reloading dies are fussy with it. The seater dies on the Hornady dies can have the seater portion pulled out of the seater housing because the O.D. of the brass is larger then a pure brass casing. If you have that problem a Lee or RCBS seater die will solve that because the seater will not come out.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've heard people complain about nickel cases over the years and after literally tens of thousands of rounds in .41 magnum and .45 acp I have yet to experience a problem. I notice the brass goes into the dies more smoothly than polished brass cases, and they do look sweet with a JHP hanging off the end of 'em.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I've heard people complain about nickel cases over the years and after literally tens of thousands of rounds in .41 magnum and .45 acp I have yet to experience a problem. I notice the brass goes into the dies more smoothly than polished brass cases, and they do look sweet with a JHP hanging off the end of 'em.
The nickel is much smoother. I save mine in a seperate container. They are the "Special" ones, and yes, they look sharp with a JHP sticking out the end.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I have a bunch of mixed 38 SPL brass that includes a bunch of nickel plated brass. I find no difference reloading or shooting it but of the very few cases of this 38 SPL brass I have recently throw away because of splits, it was almost always the nickel plated brass, which is out numbered by plain brass cases in this lot. Most all this lot of brass is mixed from an original purchase of once fired brass perhaps 20 years ago and most of the nickel plated brass is more recent range pickup once fired brass. I most certainly would not pay extra for nickel plated brass.

As for ease of loading into the gun, I see no difference when used in my S&W Model 52 semi-auto Bullseye gun. That has to be the ultimate test of whether the nickel plating makes a difference in the feeding of nickel plated or plain brass cased ammo.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Rojam, welcome to the forum! I don't seperate my brass, I just load it up, and shoot it. I don't find that the nickle plated brass works any better than plain brass. But like the others here, I do find that I don't get as many reloads form the nickle plated cases as I do the plain brass.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I find that nickle cleans better and is smoother to load with.....but IMO I don't think they last as long as plain Jane brass bullets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts