The Firearms Forum banner

Breaking in a new Magazine for my Phoenix Arms HP22A

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  WillieB 
#1 ·
I just got the extended magazine for my P.A. HP22A, and it fits and feeds well, except for the first shot when I have the magazine at max 10rd capacity. Any less than 10, it has no problem cycling the rounds. I was wondering if simply loading the mag with 10 rounds and let it sit for a few days would safely break in the spring so it lightens up a bit. Any advice is appreciated :cool:

#2 ·
Usually keeping the mag loaded will help break in the mag a little. You might want to look and see how that last round is sitting compared to the others as well. The mag might need a bit of tuning to get it right.

I’ve got a little HP22A as well. It’s really my daughter’s but she doesn’t shoot very often. That means I have more time to play with it. 😁

#3 ·
Usually keeping the mag loaded will help break in the mag a little. You might want to look and see how that last round is sitting compared to the others as well. The mag might need a bit of tuning to get it right.

I've got a little HP22A as well. It's really my daughter's but she doesn't shoot very often. That means I have more time to play with it. ?
Thanks, Ill check it out to see if it's not sitting properly.

#5 ·
CCI Velocitors are too hot for that gun. They are designed for Standard Velocity rounds only. I run Aguila Standard Velocity in mine and it cycles without issues. Finding ANY ammo in stock right now is tough but you definitely need to stay away from anything that is over 1050 fps. The frame WILL eventually crack if you continue using High Velocity ammo.

#6 ·
Aguila Standard was the very first ammo I tested in this and every round I tried firing would leave the empty shell stuck in the barrel as if the shell expanded and was hugging inside the barrel enough to not exit and eject. I still have the box of it still near full, and cant use it. I tried federal ammo and the shells would exit the barrel but somehow the shell ejector would not keep hold of the rim and eject it, I would get the shells jam in the breech. I had to resort to the higher velocity higher pressure CCI Velocitor ammo, and it has run flawlessly, at least it did with the stock magazine, and did with most rounds I just tested earlier with the extended mag, I just had to modify the top of the mag so it would allow the slide(or bolt w/e it is called) to load smoothly when the mag was at full 10rd capacity. The fella at my local gun shop recommended it to have least chance of having the same problems that I had with the other brands. And btw I just called my local shop and found out they just got a few more boxes of it in stock so Im gonna pick both of them up tomorrow before they disappear for a while again.

Im only using this HP22A and velocitor ammo as a temp for home protection till I get a larger caliber handgun, and I want to wait till I can put out a good $400-$600 for something reliable. I know something like a 12 gauge should be the first option for affordable and reliable home defense, but I just wanted to try something new since I have never really been a handgun guy in the past. Shooting hasnt been my hobby in over a decade but since I moved from N.Y. to Georgia, I wanted to get back into it since we have far more freedoms concerning firearm laws and restrictions here in Georgia as opposed to N.Y., which has a governor who screwed us all almost a decade ago placing bans and restrictions on many firearms I used to have fun with. I love it here in Georgia, they allow us to have licenses to own almost anything here :), .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.