The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to shooting and I bought a charter arms 38 revolver and the trigger is so darn hard to pull I can't shoot straight. How can I break it in quickly? TY

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Take it to a gun smith to polish it a little or see about replacement springs. Take it to somebody competant and professional. Once you mess up a trigger, you'll have to have a new one.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
gail,you didnt say if gun was new or not,it makes a difference.i would first get someone elses opinion that is knowledgable with firearms.i know hand strength is different from men to women.contact charter and see if you can dry fire gun.that means pulling the trigger without ammo in pistol.if thats possible then oil the gun good and keep pulling the trigger until it starts to get easier either by breaking in or improving your hand strength.the other option is to shoot pistol by pulling hammer back and shooting single action.single action is always more accurate because trigger is easier to pull. old semperfi

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Gail, you didn't mention what model you have. Is it a double action ONLY? Meaning the hammer is hidden so you can't fire it by first pulling the hammer back?

The Charter Arms revolvers have heavy trigger pull and not a great choice for a woman. Or most women anyway, some men complain about them too.

It's not really going to change much, even after some break in. I agree with the above advice to find a good gunsmith, not just anyone can lighten the trigger pull on a revolver and have it retain safety and reliability.

I would suggest selling it or trading it in on another revolver. Make sure you read up on which ones have a good trigger. In the long run it will be easier, quicker and most likely less expensive than have a good smith work it over.

Or....buy one of those spring hand squeezing things or even a rubber ball to build up your hand strength. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
Yes..I agreed. This types of revolvers are not a best choice for women and the trigger is somewhat hard to pull. But you need to do some more practice how to pull trigger. And if you are feeling that there is some issue with the trigger then apply some oil or grease and polish it.
WATCH THE OIL AND GREASE IDEA!!! this can cause more problems then it is worth.
If you take it to a smith he can polish and/or work the springs.
But as others have asked is it single or double action? is it a Undercover or Bulldog?(what model is it?)
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.