The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cranking out a batch of 40 S&W when I broke the de-prime pin on my Hornady die set. A quick search showed a Hornady Die maintenance kit for $22.50 plus freight 0n Midway...thought that was a bit high, Googled Hornady Maintenance kit, and got a hit on ALQUIST ARMS, found the same maintenance kit for $12.62 plus freight. I even chatted with the owner so I could get delivery..very personable. Should you have a die problem, you might consider ALQUIST. Oh, I completed the run of 40's by using my .45 ACP re-size/de-prime die, just had to pretend I was back at my RockChucker days...after the de-prime, Dillon completed things for me.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Most my die have an easily replaceable de-capping pin. Broke one several years ago and ordered some from somewhere. While I was waiting I discovered one out of a really old Herter die worked just right

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,403 Posts
Always keep spares after trashing the first one... and haven't needed one since... Strange, that...

·
Super Moderator
26,931 Posts
The last time I broke one, I called RCBS and they sent me a bag of 20 for no charge. In an emergency, you can cut a 6 penny finishing nail down. From the head end, cut about 3/4" down and round the tip. They work great.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
As howlnmad said about RCBS, I have been sent many de-capping pins from them for free, and having processed thousands of 223/5.56 cartridge cases with the crimped in primers over the years, I have bent many a pins. Although howlnmad’s idea for using a fish hook won’t work with the new RCBS de-capping pin design which has a aircraft rivet type head to retain it.

New style on the left. Old style on the right.

·
Super Moderator
26,931 Posts
As howlnmad said about RCBS, I have been sent many de-capping pins from them for free, and having processed thousands of 223/5.56 cartridge cases with the crimped in primers over the years, I have bent many a pins. Although howlnmad’s idea for using a fish hook won’t work with the new RCBS de-capping pin design which has a aircraft rivet type head to retain it. View attachment 240937
New style on the left. Old style on the right.
Actually, I said finishing nail, and I have used them. The head will fit into the sizing button.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I only have the one Hornady 40 cal die...rarely use it, didn't see the need for a spare...but now I have one coming with two spares...probably all the pins I will ever need for that die set since I only load 40's every few years.

·
GUNZILLA
6,464 Posts
I have a separate station out in the garage where I have a cheap Lee Press with the universal decapping die. I de-cap all brass and range brass there first before cleaning and so forth. The de-capping die allows the pin to slip upwards if enough pressure is applied due to a crimped primer. So far it has prevented me to break a pin. I've bent one before I set up my little de-capping station.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, I only have the one Hornady 40 cal die...rarely use it, didn't see the need for a spare...but now I have one coming with two spares...probably all the pins I will ever need for that die set since I only load 40's every few years.
Did you lose your spare pins? Hornady packs a die repair kit with every die set. Usually 2 decapping pins and a new ring clip for the bullet sleeve in the seating die. They come in the plastic sleeve with the die instructions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts