Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Brimingham proof marks

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by donrocker, Apr 6, 2009.

1. donrocker

donrocker New Member

Can anyone direct me to a site that displays the proof marks from the Birmingham Proof House(or a publication). I have my Great-Great Grandfather's double barrel side by side. I know that it was made in Birmingham by one of the lesser makers of the Holloway family(Charles), probably after 1860. I am trying to pin down the date with the proof marks as I am unable tofind any information on Charles Holloway. He may have been the son of James and perhaps was born in 1850. This was all I could find

2. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    Just found this article part of history of Charles Hellis &sons. Full history on the link below.

http://www.hellis.com/history.html

Hellis guns were of high quality, a large proportion being made by the better of the Birmingham gunmakers and mostly finished by these firms and proofed at the Birmingham Proof House. G & S Holloway, S Wright & Sons, Harrison Brothers and Bentley & Playfair were names associated with Hellis. These gunmakers supplied guns to the trade and also retailed guns under their own names. Holloway would identify their work by putting their own serial number prefixed by the letter “H” on the short rib between loop and lump. All the outworkers were co-ordinated for Hellis in Birmingham by Ralph Crump from a small workshop in Price Street, the heart of the gunmaking quarter, which survived the development of the Birmingham Ring Road in the 1960’s. Ralph Crump also co-ordinated the outworkers for London gunmaker Cogswell & Harrison from the same premises.