The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Enfield 303, 1916 MK III. I want to mount a scope on it but I have discovered that it is missing the "shroud" (don't know a better term) that bolts to both sides of the receiver over the bolt area. From what research I have done it seems I will need that piece in place in order to attach a scope mount. Does anyone know where I might find one of these? Also, what is an affordable mount for this gun?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
That would be the stipper clip bridge that was bolted to that gun. Usually they are not removed for any particular reason. I honestly don't know were to find one bc they come attached to the receiver. IMO leave that gun alone. The early MKIII with the cartridge cut off are worth some good money even missing that part. Attaching anything to it that will alter it will kill the value (unless its already been altered in other ways). IIRC the mount your looking at uses a ring at the front that wraps around the barrel and it uses a wedge to attach itself to the bridge. If thats the mount your thinking of using, they are usually good for one shot then the mount breaks at the rear. If you want a scoped hunting rifle, sell that one to a collector and buy one. :)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
took the words right outta my fingers Helix

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
AFAIK, Williams still makes a side mount for that rifle that screws onto the receiver and does not depend on the clip guide. The clip guide was often removed when sporterizing those rifles; it wasn't needed and the receiver looks a lot better without it.

The clip guide adds no strength to the action, it is only riveted on.

Jim

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
AFAIK, Williams still makes a side mount for that rifle that screws onto the receiver and does not depend on the clip guide. The clip guide was often removed when sporterizing those rifles; it wasn't needed and the receiver looks a lot better without it.

The clip guide adds no strength to the action, it is only riveted on.

Jim
In addition to this, check B-Square to see what they have, They have no drill scope mounts for a lot of different guns.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
OK, I don't like the idea of cutting up a collector gun to "sporterize" it, but pray tell how much collector value or interest there is in an old SMLE which has already been "bubba'd" to the extent of having the clip guide removed?

I too, like to see historical guns kept in original condition, but many millions of Mausers, U.S. Enfields and Springfields, Krags, and SMLE's are already irretrievably lost to the hacksaws of a couple of generations. Talking about "killing the [collector] value" of such guns is silly - and about 50 years too late.

Jim

P.S. Merry Christmas to all here.

JK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts