The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, i am just looking for some information about this gun, it has a few stamp marks in different places marked silver, it has cleaned up really well, it looks like a reproduction because there is nowhere for the bullet to come out, it doesn't look like its been welded just looks as if it made that way ? i don't have a silver tester and was wondering about the likelyhood of it being real silver ?

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Too shiny for silver and even than you would have a copper underplate...Here is my Astra with silver plate...will have tarnish..

As for the British Bulldog it is a type of revolver. Numerous copies of this design were made in Belgium, Spain, France, and the USA during the late 19th century. I have one with a folding trigger from Belgium. There is a web page that shows hoe to read the proof marks but i can't find it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too shiny for silver and even than you would have a copper underplate...Here is my Astra with silver plate...will have tarnish..

As for the British Bulldog it is a type of revolver. Numerous copies of this design were made in Belgium, Spain, France, and the USA during the late 19th century. I have one with a folding trigger from Belgium. There is a web page that shows hoe to read the proof marks but i can't find it now.
many thanks, the revolver was very tarnished but i polished it very well, it has polished up like silver, i have polished a lot of silver in my time, i am just curious about the stamps for silver, i believe its illegal if not correct ?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
For one thing, the cylinder is in backwards.

You say there is no place for the bullet to come out; I assume you mean there is no hole in the barrel. If that is the case, you might have a dummy display piece. There is a mold ejector mark on the frame indication it was made by investment casting, a production method not known at the time a real "Bulldog" would have been made.

So, it appears to be a "non-gun" made solely for display. Unless it is solid silver (which I very much doubt - it is probably plated zinc or brass) the value is nominal, maybe $50. Silver plating will be thin, so I would suggest protecting the "gun" from tarnishing so there is no need for frequent polishing.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts