The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , I have started to repair a 1914 that was my fathers and before that my grandfathers. I have fired it after 35+ years last weekend but found it wouldn't feed from the tube magazine. I found a broken lifter that I purchased from Jack First but now am unsure how to replace it. If it wasn't so old and the parts expensive I'd try a little hammer/prybar to remove the tube that the breakdown screw goes through and the lifter pivots on. I noticed there are some forum members that are knowledgeable about these rifles and I hope you can provide some guidance. I will be glad to provide any info you ask for about the rifle. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
300 Posts
stang0011,

The lifter is a weak design due to a "U" shaped cut at it's midpoint along the length.

You'll need a tight fitting dowell to push the bushing out that the lifter pivots on. Go slow is the name of that game. Maybe 1/4" stock.

You may be able to obtain a replacement lifter from a member of the RFC board whose board name is pact. You will have to join the forum to PM him. He has a lot of Savage 22 pump parts.

Good Luck

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, I was a little unclear in my post. I already have a new lifter from Jack First but I appreciate the heads up for future parts. When I press out the bushing does it also push out the threaded portion that the take down screw threads into? Thanks for the help Steve99f.

·
Registered
300 Posts
stang0011,

Actually you can thread the TD screw in from the other side and lightly tap on it to drive the pivot out. Penetrating oil and light tapping is it. Should come out without strong-arming it. Use a block or piece of leather over the screw. De-cock the hammer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The above is incorrect. Take the rifle down and then thread the TD screw into the frame from the right side, then proceed as above. Sorry about that, brain fart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woot, the bushing came out easily with very little force. I got the new lifter in place and the rascal feeds now. I noticed the replacement lifter was beefier in the spot where the other was broken so hopefully this one will last a few more decades. Thanks for the help!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts