Brought it home

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by SilasW, Apr 22, 2020.

1. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Brought home the new-to-me model 99 Savage from lay a way yesterday. There' some surface rust on the bottom of the lever. Not bad, but obviously needs to be taken care of. I've got several oils on hand, Kroil, Hoppe's Elite and so on. What's the most effective thing to get rid of this?

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

A real penny, not a zinc coated one. What cartridge is it chambered for and is it a 99 or an 1899? Good rifles. I had an 1899 in 303 Savage. It would anything a 30-30 will do....and just the slightest bit more.

Silas, you're over by Cape, correct? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020

3. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

This one is the 99 chambered in .300 Savage. The one I've been looking for all along. Best I can figure it was manufactured around 1951. I purchased an 1899 chambered in .303 Savage a few months ago. Made in 1913. Developed some handloads for the .303 and it's as accurate as I am (Probably more so)
    The .300 has been drilled/tapped from the factory. Already have dies and some brass for it. It has the Schnabel forearm. Not wearing any optics right now, need to order a base and rings. There's a Leopold 3x9x40 in the gun room that needs a partner and this may be it.
    The rust spot is on the bottom of the lever and runs toward the bottom of the receiver a little bit.
    I'm about 65 miles southwest of St Louis. Between Farmington and Bismarck.

4. sharps4590

Nice sounding outfit! That's still the good one with rotary mag., right? Does it have the cartridge counter cut out on the left side of the receiver like you 1899 should have? That 1899 should also have the cocked indicator, yes? The 1899 I had would hold 2 inches all day long at 100 yds. with a 180 gr. cast, gas checked bullet over I think 28 grs. of IMR-3031. It wasn't scoped either, just had the Lyman or Marbles tang sight. The only double on coyotes I've ever got was with that rifle.

We aren't that far apart, I'm 8 mi. SE of Rolla. Just about right between Rolla, St. James and Salem.

shootbrownelk and joe45c like this.
  5. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Yep, it has the rotary mag, brass round counter and cocked indicator. Really looking forward to shooting this one.
    The 1899 has the same and a tang rear sight also. Accurate as any rifle I own out to 100 yds. Maybe further, but I haven't shot it any farther than that. Just don't have "young man" eyes anymore.
    I like the area around St James and Salem. Spent time at the trout parks, and trapping the Huzzah river too.

6. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

Kroil.
    Used it when I was a mechanic and it was the best penetrating oil I ever used.
    Did a number on rust and was a pretty good lube, too. Not as watery as WD40.
    Generally, on my guns, I still use an old can of Outers Gun Oil we've had for years.
    That, some white cloth patches and a little elbow grease goes a long way to keeping your guns looking new.
    Congrats on your purchase. That gun sounds like a real honey. -b

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  7. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

The Kroil seems to have taken care of the rust issue. I scrubbed the barrel with a bronze bore brush soaked in Hoppe's #9 (love that smell) and finished with dry patches. Rifling looks good. Dipped a patch in Kroil and ran it through, let it sit for two days. Also wiped down the rust spot on the receiver. After work last night, I ran a dry patch down the barrel and it came out clean. Rust spot is gone and the old girl is looking pretty good. Ordered a Leopold mount and rings for it this morning, along with a new leather military type sling. It had a black nylon sling on it when I bought it. Looked as out of place as a Ford hood ornament on a '57 Chevy.
    I don't normally give names to my guns, but I call this one "Ellenor."

BlackEagle, DCman, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  8. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Looks like good stuff. Thanks for the link! I like ordering from Brownell's.

joe45c and ral357 like this.
  9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Just want that 99 babied. I have one in 300 Savage also. Great gun in a underappreciated cartridge:cool:

SilasW, DCman, joe45c and 1 other person like this.
  10. sharps4590

And it was probably a "cobra", black, nylon sling, no? They're about the sorriest excuse for a real sling as the mind of man devised. They are a carrying strap and not a very good one at that, not a sling.

ral, it's under appreciated because A), it's old and B), it works.

SilasW, joe45c and Grizzley1 like this.
  11. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Kinda like a fair share of the members here...:lurk:

gvw3, BlackEagle, SilasW and 4 others like this.
  12. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So silas i can smell the sweet smell of Hoppes and Kroil on your new to you savage 99 when can we see a couple pics of it?;)

BlackEagle and SilasW like this.
  13. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

"I resemble that remark"

rick

BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.
  14. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

You're welcome.
    Yeah, I'm not a nylon strap guy either. They're uncomfortable.
    This is more my speed....

[​IMG]

Not sure who makes that sling, but I'll take it any day of the week.
    Here's something that might appeal to you (I know it appeals to me! ;) )

gvw3, orion340, Patches and 2 others like this.