Brought it home

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by SilasW, Apr 22, 2020.

1. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I actually have a sling that looks exactly like that one. The one I ordered is the leather type as used on the M1 Garand or '03 Springfield. Also have one that is close to the one in the picture except it has a silver medallion about the size of a silver dollar with the Indian Chief logo and Savage name on it. Have no clue where to get another. It was on a pawn shop rifle I bought couple of years ago.
    I'd love to post pictures soon a I figure how to post them from my phone.

DCman and joe45c like this.
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

The one you ordered is a real shooter's sling. Lots of ways to make use of it as an aid in shooting. Straight carrying straps can be made good use of as a hasty sling.

BlackEagle likes this.

3. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

LOL, you called it. It was a black cobra sling. Not a total waste though, I can use it to tie up my tomato plants.

Grizzley1 and sharps4590 like this.
  4. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Very nice rifle.
    FWIW - I don't recall ever seeing a Savage Mod 99 with a fore end that beefy. I kind of recall them being much slimmer with a semi-schanble kind of fancy end. ??

5. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

Piece of rope can work in a pinch, too.

6. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the later models wood was not shaped quite as nice. I had one in 300 Savage that I traded for my 38-55 94 Win. It had the counter, rotary magazine, cocking indicator.

I bought a later model in .243 Win that had the rotary magazine only and someone had "unloved it with a camo paint job. But, it will shoot the eyes out of flies all day long!!

7. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

Here's part of the 1981 Catalogue, showing the 99's available that year.
    As you can see, there's a couple of different forearms available for that gun, depending on which version of the 99 you got....

[​IMG]

8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A co-worker approached me some 25 years ago about removing the rust from his dad’s Savage 99. There was surface rust throughout the interior of the gun and none on the outside and the bore was pristine. I totally disassembled the gun, and removed the surface rust with super fine steel wool soaked in Hoppes. Once I finished, there was no sign of rust any more. When I attempted to return it to him I asked if he wanted to sell it and he did. So…. I got a 1950’s 300 Savage 99 for a song. The first range trip showed excellent accuracy with my reloads (surprising accuracy compared to my many other lever guns). Turns out the co-worker’s dad was a new graduate in about 1951, hunted, and treated himself to the Savage as a graduation present. He must have hunted with it very little as it is in superb condition. It is the econo version but has the rotating brass magazine and the cartridge counter window. I really won on this one! I have had several shooters ask about buying it but it is definitely not for sale.

LDBennett

DCman likes this.