The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need assistance in identifying and valuating (for insurance purposes) a Browning Shotgun. I'm relatively certain about the following facts.
Serial Number = 45783 S5
Made in Belgium
Was told the "high Comb" indicates a trap or skeet gun.
Have no idea of grade but the piece is highly engraved.
30 inch vented barrels
Very fine condition.

·
Premium Member
9,929 Posts
Welcome to TFF :)
Can you post some pictures so we can see it.
This will help us to help you.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are 4 pictures as requested (I hope). My attempts to send pictures with my first message proved unsuccessful - might need help with that too. Fortunately I can blame these problems on my age...:confused:

I have many more photos should you wish to see them

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pigeon Grade, in fairly nice condition. Barrel length? Open the barrels and tell us or take a picture of the markings on the side of the barrels so we will know what it is choked. What is the condition of the bores? How's the blue on the barrels?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope the following pictures help.
Barrels = 30 inches
Bores appear shiny and very clean
Careful study indicates no abrasions, rust or flaws in the bluing.

Does the engraving on the receiver indicate gun grade?

Thank you for the time your taking with my questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
The gun overall looks very nice, I cannot see any hickey's. The wood has nice figure, the blueing is as you say unblemished. As for the choke markings, the * on the top barrel and *- on the bottom indicate Full and Improved Modified.

There is an exact duplicate currently being offered on an auction site that can't be spoken of here, except it is a 1966. Everything else matches up. It was started at $2000, has 3 bids to $2500, reserve not met, "buy it now" is marked as $3500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Goody
Thank you so much for your help. I'm learning a great deal. I hope you will answer the following questions so my education will continue.

How is the "grade" of a browning established?
While browsing in Browning Arms web site for serial numbers I noted the superposed date of manufacture is 1955. This does not match your previous date of 1965. Am I missing something here or do we have a misprint somewhere?
And lastly, does the trailing suffix S5 in the serial number have any significance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, the S5 indicates the year of manufacture. Read on down on that same site you were looking at and you find:

From 1962 serial numbers were followed by the date of manufacture.
2S=12 gauge for the year 1962.
2V=20 gauge for the year 1962.
2F=28 gauge for the year 1962.
2J=.410 bore for the year 1962.
Example: 6556S2 = A 1962 Superposed 12 ga. shotgun with serial number 6556.

As for the grade, I am basing that on the engraving extant on the receiver. Different grades were embellished in their own unique way. The Pigeon grade has the scene depicted on yours, two flying pigeons. Yours is the second grade in line, the most common being the blued receiver of the Lightning. But I am but a mere novice in all this, there are many books that tell you more than I will ever know. There is a Diana grade, then the Midas grade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts