The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This gun was passed down to me by my father. I would appreciate any info on how old this gun may be and possibly a rough idea of it's value. I don't see any type of serial number..where might that be? Pictures attached. Thank You!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
That looks like a Savage 340 or one of its variations. I believe the FN buttplate is off another gun, possibly a Browning Auto 5 shotgun.

Value on a 340 as shown would be around $250. The basic 340 was introduced in 1950. Until 1968, serial numbers were not required and many less expensive guns did not have them.

Jim

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, that's a variant of the Savage 340 family. Savage/Stevens/Springfield or maybe a WesternField (for Montgomery Wards). I'm not sure if any of the other chain stores had a version of the 340 or not.
If it's not on the barrel itself, the name/model will be under the scope mount on the left side of the receiver. I think on those year rifles the serial number is right on top of the receiver ring.

Someone attached a homemade cheekpiece to the original stock and added that FN buttplate.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Those rifles had cheap plastic buttplates; that one probably broke and was replaced by something that came close to fitting. The rifle has no connection to FN.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts