The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LGS has several of these 85% .22's in the 450.00 price range. I'm thinking seriously about getting one. Are they worth it? I know they're not target guns and I don't expect them to be.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I have one and like it. I buy guns that I think beautiful and this one qualifies. It is a handy size and strips down much like a real 1911. The fit and finish are very good and it shoots well.

As I remember it (bought this gun in the anniversary gun bag in 2011), there are two options: steel frame and aluminum frame. I would not have the aluminum frame version just because.

I have many guns and this one is just another. It is well made, is a nice size for field carry and plinking, looks good, shoots well. Why NOT buy it? It sure beats the pot metal (zinc alloy GSG 22's)! But that. of course. is just my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
OK......this is not an AR lower that is only 80% completed or a 1911 that is only 85% completed! But it is a miniature 1911, sold by the Browning Company and made in the USA. Since John Browning started the Browning Company in the later 1900's and he designed the 1911, this little anniversary gun is a tribute to him. The Browning Company is now owned by FNH who had a close relationship with John Browning post about 1900. Winchester held that spot pre-1900's and Colt also had that same kind of relationship with John Browning. John Browning was the gun genius who came up with working prototypes of unique and long lasting designs and others manufactured his patented ideas.

As an aside Browning today makes no guns but is a distributor and a gun design organization. The guns are made in Europe, Japan and places inside the USA. Browning specifies what they want and other long time partners and subsidies actually make the guns. Browning is a distributor of their branded guns.

LDBennett

·
Super Moderator
25,662 Posts
It clicked in my head when I read Baby Browning in shootbrownelks post.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there are two options: steel frame and aluminum frame. I would not have the aluminum frame version just because.

LDBennett
Threw me off. I was thinking that that was a little pricey for something that was only 85% finished.
I am assuming it's not a full size pistol?
I guess I should have worded it differently.

I'd rather have steel too but the only options are T6 aluminum and polymer. I guess if T6 is good enough for 5.56 it's good enough for .22 LR.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
OPPs!!! my mistake. I knew there were two choice but erroneously stated that it was steel and aluminum when in fact it is aluminum and polymer. Mine has the Aluminum frame. I don't own any!!!! polymer hand guns!

While my memory was NEVER all that good, in my late eighth decade of life it has only gotten worse. It now takes a short delay to get info out but once reminded it becomes perfectly clear....usually. The minute polymer was mentioned, it came back immediately!

Its still a neat gun worth owning!

LDBennett

·
Super Moderator
38,422 Posts
I have one of the Browning 1911 22's . I really do like it but I shoot it very seldom. I don't think $450 is a terrible price either, I bought mine when they first came out and I do believe that I paid a bit more for mine. It is basically a 1911 that has been reduced to 85% of the size of a standard 1911. The trigger guard has not been reduced so as to not be so tight on your finger, actually I think it has been enlarged.
Threw me off. I was thinking that that was a little pricey for something that was only 85% finished.
I am assuming it's not a full size pistol?
It doesn't take up very much space, I will stick mine in with the guns I am bringing this weekend so you can see and shoot it!

·
Garandaholic
9,378 Posts
I have a Browning 1911 .380. I guess it's about 85% of the size of a "regular" 1911.
Not the same gun of course, but I have to say I love it. My wife does too.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have the 1911-22. Very nice little guns. They have an aluminum frame and slide.
Baby Brownings are .25 cal. pistols as pictured above.
The 1911-380 has a polymer frame.
These guns are almost exactly the same size as the larger Star "S" series pistols and the Colt .380s.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I bought mine in Jan 2013 and paid $90 more than what the poster says is the offering price. Now, is it the polymer version or the aluminum version? Would the polymer one be less expensive?

The price I see on the internet for the polymer version is the same as the poster's LGS price. But one source had a rebate too. The Aluminum framed one is about $60 more.

I'd search around and get the aluminum framed one.

LDBennett

·
Super Moderator
38,422 Posts
I do have one of the old Llama .380's but still want the Browning or maybe even one of the Rock Island versions or both!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put it in layaway. It sure is a little thing. The one I got is aluminum and it was a trade in but it looks new and comes with the hard case and all the paperwork. They said when I paid it off they would throw in a bulk pack of ammo. Price was 445.00. New ones were 529.00. They did have a polymer frame for less(IIRC it was 429.00)but it was a black slide and a flat earth frame and I don't do two tones. They also had a Black Label with better sights and the Browning logo on the grips but it was 479.00. They also had an 85% Commander. Talk about little.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I bought mine in Jan 2013 and paid $90 more than what the poster says is the offering price. Now, is it the polymer version or the aluminum version? Would the polymer one be less expensive?

The price I see on the internet for the polymer version is the same as the poster's LGS price. But one source had a rebate too. The Aluminum framed one is about $60 more.

I'd search around and get the aluminum framed one.

LDBennett
The .22 version only came with an aluminum frame, originally.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
As time went by, apparently several options were added over the original Aluminum framed version. I don't keep up. But the poster indicated that the guns offered by the LGS in 22LR were both a polymer and aluminum framed model. Is he confused too?

In browsing the 2020 Browning website for the 1911-22 current models, I found 14 variations, both aluminum framed and polymer. There were also three California compliant aluminum framed ones (no polymers for CA it seems). There were five Specialty versions (colored and in both aluminum and polymer frames). They also list 40 version (both aluminum and polymer frames) that they list as discontinued. WOW!!!! And I thought there were only two versions!

LDBennett

1 - 20 of 24 Posts