Browning Auto 22 ???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by LDBennett, Apr 28, 2009.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I am looking at the Browning Auto 22 rifle (new, made in Japan). For years I have lusted after this petite rifle that feeds ammo through the stock, ejects out the bottom, and has superior fit and finish (typical Browning!). A dealer I frequent has four brand new ones.

I fear not the Japanese Browning as I have several and each and every one is a superior gun (86, 92, 95, 53). But:

1). How is the Auto 22 for reliability (feeding, extraction , ejection)?

2). How is the Auto 22 for accuracy?

The intended use is with open sights in the field, shooting at cans and target of opportunity in impromptu shooting. No target shooting.

Anyone got an opinion based on owning and shooting one?

LDBennett

2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Member

>>08#&..../<@615^

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

LD,

They are worth lusting after....I have had one since the mid 70's, and they are a very good design. Quite accurate, and very portable. I made a leather holster for mine as a young teen, so I could carry it broken down on a bicycle. Between my brothers and I we shot enough ammo through it to prove it is a trouble free rifle. For some time we had a cantilever scope mount on the barrel, and a scope, but this ruined the portability of it, and was removed. Not a target rifle, but a very good sporting one. Go for it! Best regards, Kirk

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Every one of the Browning semi .22s I have ever handled has made me cry. When I had to hand it back to the owner.

Pops

5. daustin777

daustin777 New Member

I have a Belgium made that my father bought in 1960. It is one of my prized Brownings. I love to shoot it, mine is very accurate, and it loves to shoot the jacketed hollow points from Federal or Remington. It's a great gun to share the love of plinking with your children and grandchildren. My father never had a minutes worth of trouble with it nor have I. "Not for Sale",is what I have to tell everyone who looks at it or shoots it.

6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I picked up a Grade III engraved by Vrancken circa 1960 a few years ago in a gun shop that had it on consignment. There was a serial # conflict, and I contacted Browning USA. I was offered a tidy profit "sight unseen" over the telephone.

They are pretty little rifles. They are fun to shoot and function reliably for a sporting arm as long as you keep the firing pin channel free of oil. The forearm is attached directly to the barrel and it is a take-down design. Neither of these two factors is beneficial to shooting tight groups for reasons that will be obvious to the knowledgeable.

Still they are fun guns, accurate enough to take small critters at reasonable ranges with open sights. The later models will likely accept a tip-off 22 scope. From my experiences do not expect to see many 1" groups at 50 yards with or without a scope..

7. crsides

crsides New Member

Hammerslagger

I have a '58-59 grade III Vracken signed also. Got some info that might be of interest on the serial #'s. For a time, the butt stock metal around the loading gate carried a serial #, and the front of the receiver (you have to take the bbl off to see it) also had a serial #. I was concerned because they did not match. I wrote Browning Collectors assoc and Jeff Tyler, son of Homer Tyler who wrote the book on these take downs, answered. He said he would be surprised if the numbers did match. I was recording mine in my C&R book and asked which one to use, and we both agreed that the receiver # would be preferable. Mine is signed below the birds on the bottom edge, and again on the offside.

Oh, if you ever get to thinking about that tidy profit thing, give me a call first.

Charlie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  8. TIRED TRAVELER

TIRED TRAVELER New Member

Also have a Grade III, remembered to be 56-58? S/N 32991.

The gun was bought for me by my dad and is in mint condition.

I also have a fitted hard case for the gun.

My gun however is not signed by the engraver, can you elaborate on this?

Is your piece something special in that regard.

I would be interested in knowing your S/N.

JIM

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I bought one and am totally impressed. It works well, looks great, and shoots the cheapy Federal #745 ammo just fine. The gun is more than I expected! I highly recommend it.

LDBennett

10. readingbill

readingbill New Member

A local gunshop had a 1978 SA-22 for $250. Since I wanted one of these since about the time this one was made, I decided I couldn't pass it up at that price. Just a couple of dings on the stock.

It came with a barrel-mounted scope rail but not the original rear sight.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scope or aimpoint that won't cost as much as the rifle? Should I just get a replacement rear sight? Does anyone use a peep sight that works with the front blade?

What works well for you?

Many thanks.