The Firearms Forum banner

Browning Belgian Rifle 30-06 "need help"

9K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  V509 
#1 ·
I am trying to sell this rifle but have no clue what these stamps are and no clue what this might be worth. If anyone can help id appreciate the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a bolt action Belgium Browning in 30-06 caliber. I think they were called Safaris. One of your photos is a pic of belgium roof marks. As far as the value don't have a guess, but it's in real nice shape and these were very well built rifles. Maybe someone else will be able to give you a value.

#4 ·
As Joe45 said, the stamps are Belgian proof marks.

The star over the letter "S" is the mark of the controller of the proof, Charles Daenen, he was the controller of the proof house at Liege, Belgium from 1952 to 1968 and from 1974 to 1980.

The second mark, the lion rampant over the letters PV denotes nitro (smokeless) proof.

The third mark is called the Perron and denotes proof of breeching system. It's a stylized representation of a famous architectural feature in Liege.

#8 ·
Here's a link that can help you look them up.
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

If you like looking at beautiful old Damascus barreled shotguns, that site has some very nice stuff in their photo galleries.

As to the value on your Browning I haven't a clue but I expect someone with a better knowledge of the price range will be along soon enough. :)

#12 ·
Lately I've found most gun shop employees should have stayed at McDonalds flipping burgers.
You have a Browning High Power, Safari Grade, made on a premium Belgian FN Mauser action from 1960 to 1974, then Browning started using Sako actions. With a full serial number I can find a date of manufacture. That's important because Browning was using "salt wood" from 1966 to 1971, and that affects value. Pics of the whole gun would help to value it as well.

#14 ·
The Browning Safaris that actually sold on the auction site during the past few weeks generally went for as little as $455 (338 Win Mag) to as much as $1,250 (222 Remington). One in 30-06 with a Leupold Vari-Xll scope went for $847.50. Another 30-06 with no scope got a high bid of $775 that was less than the reserve.

#19 ·
A good friend of mine had one of those Belgium Browning bolt actions in .270 Winchester. He used to get his bull every year with that old rifle. His was pristine too. He quit hunting elk 10 years ago, and sold it shortly after. Had I known he was selling, I'd have been the buyer. Those Brownings are smooth as butter and quite accurate.

#20 ·
You need to determine when it was made. Google can find you a table that will give you the info based on the serial number which includes a letter or two. One thing that can lessen the value is "salt wood". Take the action out of the stock and see if it's rusted where the action/barrel contacts the stock. Older ones, pre-salt wood are worth more in good condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.