The Firearms Forum banner

Browning Challenger II Lighter Recoil Spring?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  goofy 
#1 ·
Anybody make a lighter recoil spring for the Browning Challengers and/or Buckmarks?

I have a Challenger II that I believe is short-stroking because I'm not using high velocity ammo. I have over 5000 rounds of standard velocity ammo though, so I'd like to be able to use it in this gun without it jamming the spent case between the slide and the frame literally every shot.

One time, it even failed to travel far enough back to load the next round. I don't believe it has anything to do with the current spring being old or inadequate, it seems quite springy and in good shape.

Thanks a lot.

#3 ·
You might try contacting Wolff Springs 800-545-0077

They make springs for many different guns.

But before you change out the spring inspect the gun thoroughly to see if something else is slowing the slide down in recoil. I have a Buckmark and a Belgium Browning Challenger and both shoot CCI Std Vel ammo no problem. Remember that the hammer is also being cocked by the slide. Perhaps someone put a heavier spring on the hammer (??). Dirt could also be slowing the slide. You might try pulling the recoil spring out of the gun and sliding the slide back and forth to see if there is a catch in its travel. Maybe the extractor is dragging on underside of the slide??

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.