The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to this sight, I have acquired an older Hi power from my Dad. He purchased the gun used in 1968 and has not fired it much. It is a (#54824) numbers matching gun, magazines and holster. After cleaning it I recently took it out for some practice and it has a spent case ejection issue. They will stay in the gun more often than not. I called a local gun smith and he told me the problem is more than likely my ammo, which is 115 grain FMJ, he said I should be utilizing 124 grain FMJ. I have read articles that state this gun should do both. I would appreciate any info someone can shed on my issue and possibly a gun manufacture date.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Do they come partially back, but not all the way back so they don't kick out, and they jam the slide? Or does the slide go back but the cartridge cases stay in the chamber?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are out of the chamber and lodge on top of the next round. I have to push the next round down to dump the spent casing out.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Sounds to me like there is carbon built up in the extractor recess of the slide. This isn't an easy place to clean unless you specifically go to that area. A blast of spray cleaner (with the straw cleaning tube attached to the can's spray button) may be needed to direct the spray into the recess and blast out the grit.

Carbon/grit can build up there and not let the extractor fully move. Most times problems like this can be corrected by a really good cleaning. If it isn't a build up of carbon - and the extractor isn't broken or partially sheared, the other culprit could be a weak extractor spring. I'm thinking more just a good cleaning. Make sure it is well cleaned and lubricated when you use it. The slide should move freely. I have seen pistols so 'dry' that the slide is hard to move.

115 grain FMJ ammo should perform well in your pistol as long as it is good quality, and not somebody's under powered reloads. The Hi Power is a fantastic design and will work when others won't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim, Thank you for the info, I will clean the gun better and see if it helps. Guns are not my forte' I do better with carburetors and engines. The ammo I have is all name brands, not reloads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts