Browning Hi Power

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

NEtracker
    (1/27/03 5:21:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Browning Hi Power
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just got a used silver chrome model with the Pachmayr wrap arounds & adjustable sights. This piece was a shooter! Needed a little light 0000 steel wool on the sights also to take out some surface rust. I took apart the mags & cleaned 'em last night. Also, did a good cleaning. It was filthy; couldn't see the feed ramp surface! The previous owner obviously did not know how/when to clean or lube a pistol, or plain just did not care!

Any specifics to watch for (worn parts, etc.) in a Hi-Power that has been well-shot like this one? From the s.n., I have a Commercial Sport, 1991 (Belgium).

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 6:18:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Browning Hi Power
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really dont think you have anything to worry about. The gun is too recent.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/27/03 7:12:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Browning Hi Power
    I wish it was mine. Sounds like a nice one.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 8:29:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Browning Hi Power
    As long as it feeds and functions well, you've got no worries. Like all of John M. Browning's designs, it's a very rugged and reliable piece.

NEtracker
    (1/31/03 1:34:00 pm)
    Wow, the barrel was really leaded. It was a tough job getting it all out.

I got to the range 1/29, and was very impressed with the accuracy. I had shot a few mags with my P99 to warm up, prior to loading up the HP. The spur hammer did not bite me. Overall, I'm very happy with the HP!

Next steps...I ordered an 18.5lb Wolff spring, and plan to try out a buffer also.
    (And, I'm keeping my eye out for a Blued Belgian, or refinished Argentine...Hi-Powers are really scarce here in MA)

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/31/03 8:30:23 pm)
    Hey Tracker where did you find the browning ??

NEtracker
    (2/2/03 12:27:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Used BHP in MA
    Roach's.
    They had a blued Belgian also, but tag was $849 with one mag only, I believe. It was pristine, though.
    Earlier in the month, Four Seasons had two, one was
    >$1K.
    I just missed another silver chrome by a day, which was what I call a good deal in MA, $575.

sig230
    (2/8/03 9:18:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Used BHP in MA
    Those prices are absolutely insane, nearly double the MSRP. You can find a pristine Inglis with the stock for a thousand dollars. How in the world can anyone seriously even ask such prices?
    Aslan is not a Tame Lion

NEtracker
    (2/10/03 11:17:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Supply & Demand
    Hi-Powers are not on the "Aprroved for sale in MA"
    list, so the only HP's we can buy in MA are those that were in-state prior to 10/98, or those brought in by owners who move here. So, supply is very thin, since most owners want to hold onto their HP's, which drives prices up.
    I do not forsee getting rid of mine; I like it too much!
    The list of what we can buy new in MA is fairly short.
    Can only get a small handful of New handguns here (S&W,Walther,SIG,Beretta,Ruger revolvers only).

No Glocks, no HK, no CZ, no Ruger semis, no Springfield Armory, no Colt, no Kimber, no Kahr, no Para Ord, no Taurus, no BHP's, etc,etc, etc....

Now that S&W has the SW1911, I may get that since I will be able to get it Brand New for $100 to $300 less than a second Hi-Power. After the SW1911 gets added to "Approved List", it will be the ONLY 1911 we can buy new here.