The Firearms Forum banner

Browning Hi-Power (??)

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  WillieB 
#1 · (Edited)
My dad recently acquired one of my uncle’s handguns. It’s a Browning and LOOKS like a Hi-Power but doesn’t actually say “Hi-Power” anywhere on the gun. The magazine looks like a Beretta to me. I tried running the serial number through Browning’s website but the results come back with nothing.

Things I am curious about:

1) Is this a Hi-Power
2) What year is it?
3) What’s its actual value?

Tried to get the best pics of everything I could on the gun.

#3 ·
That is exactly what I needed!

My dad definitely got the better end of the deal on this one! He traded my cousin straight across for a Walther PPQ after my uncle passed. Neither knows a lot of handgun history and my cousin was looking at prices on new Hi-Powers rather than older models. Knowing my dad, I’m sure his conscience will get the better of him and he will try to make it right with my cousin.

Thank you much for the input!

#5 ·
FWIW. I have a Buddy, always a die hard revolver 357 guy, who had little use for 9mm. Last time we talked I had my mind blown. His favorite go to, shoots almost exclusively these days,….a PPQ!
The Walter isn’t a bad pistol by any stretch. Not my thing but some consider it absolutely the best. Gets all good reviews and is a easy shooting accurate handgun. The point is not to feel too bad about the deal. For me the old High power is definitely the better gun but your cousin definitely thought he was getting the clean long end of the stick. Probably bragging to his buddies how he traded a old obsolete pistol for the PPQ.

#6 ·
Dad and I both hated that Walther. Took it shooting once and we both developed an instant disliking for that gun. Dad was going to sell it but then he got the opportunity to trade up to the Hi-Power. Hopefully if my cousin shoots the darn thing, he will like it better than Dad and I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.