The Firearms Forum banner

Browning Model 1922-Engraved

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Not much of a gun collector. I received this gun from my grandfather's estate. I don't have any idea how he got the gun, however, I am sure he had it for many years.

I believe the gun is a Browning Model 1922 and it is a 9mm.

I've taken a bunch of pictures, which you can find here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/104809222606132494292/BrowningFNModel1922#

The gun's serial number is 2474##

Regarding markings, most of them are clear in the pictures. There is a "C" and an apostrophe on the trigger guard. Also, on the inside of the barrel (the shaft inside of the barrel) and just below the barrel, are 5 sets of markings:

1) A dragon or griffin
2) A line
3) The letters "PV"
4) The symbol "+"
5) A capital letter "N"

Also, below all of this, only the shaft, not below the barrel, is something that looks like a pineapple, with an E, then an LG below it.

I'm looking for information about this gun, and it's possible value to a collector or a museum. Any information will definitely be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Budman

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a Model 1922, and has very nice engraving. Its value to a museum depends mostly on the museum. The NRA's National Firearms Museum might be interested. Most museums do not pay for items; they accept the donation, then expect the donor to deduct the value from his income tax.

If you are not interested in the gun as an heirloom, you might be better putting it up for sale on an on-line auction or call one of the gun auction services (Google for names and contact info.) My guess as to value would be around $3000, unless there is some historic association or ownership by some prominent person (or your grandfather himself was a prominent personality).

Jim

#3 ·
I believe your pistol is a WWII capture pistol which was probably used by the German forces. It appears that the GI who owned it had it engraved at the end of the war by a German gunsmith/engraver, as the oak leaf design is in the traditional German pattern. During the engraving process the military acceptance marks appear to have been removed. The composition grips indicate early war manufacture, probably 1941. Later in the war the grips were made of wood. If you furnish the complete serial number and any suffix letter we may be able to pin this down more exactly for you.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply Jim. It's good to get some idea what it's worth. If it does end up in a museum, I know I wouldn't get anything for it, there just seems to be something cool at being able to donate to a museum, but of course, there's nothing like cold, hard cash.

I'll be sleeping on this every night for a while.

Thanks,

Budman

#7 ·
I thought so, too, Bill, which is why I gave it a fairly high value; the usual "carton of cigarettes"* engraving would not make the gun worth that.

*So called because that is what it cost GIs in post-war Germany to have personal firearms and war trophies engraved.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.