The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this Pistol better than a month ago. I had slipped my mind until my Bro brought it back yesterday. He’s had it since day after I got it. I did shoot it a box down along the creek at random rocks and cans.
Bro trying to trade me out of it . Barrel appears short but is actually 4”. Nice adjustable sights and is really a comfortable pistol in the hand. Another odd ball to find a holster for. Nomad was last series before Browning Bean counters struck with Challenger series. The last new Browning 22 I bought was the Medalist in early 70s. Back then I was in 22 target pistol mode and had them all. The Brownings were top quality and ranked right with S&W 41, Colt Woodsman Match and Hi-Standards.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wonderful pistols. Has the best feel in the hand of them all. Wanted one desperately as a teenager when they were in production, finally got one some forty years later. Don't lose the magazine. BTW, I had thought the Nomad, Challenger, and Medalist were produced at the same time, with the former being the least expensive and the latter the most expensive, and intended for competition, with the Challenger in the middle, which was replaced by the Challenger II and then III. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonderful pistols. Has the best feel in the hand of them all. Wanted one desperately as a teenager when they were in production, finally got one some forty years later. Don't lose the magazine. BTW, I had thought the Nomad, Challenger, and Medalist were produced at the same time, with the former being the least expensive and the latter the most expensive, and intended for competition, with the Challenger in the middle, which was replaced by the Challenger II and then III. But I could be wrong.
I’m not sure either. I thought first Challenger series replaced Nomad. I’ve had many Browning 22s through the years but only the Medalist was bought new. I had a Challenger a while back, for a few days until Bro cried till I let him have it. He tried same on Nomad.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Administrator
15,864 Posts
Nomad was the first FN Browning 22, then Challenger, then Medalist. And all 3 were produced at the same time during periods of the FN days of production.

Then Browning 22 production moved to the US and Canada for the Challeger II and III. Finally Browning ended up with the Buckmark that we have today.

There are several variations of the FN models such as the Medalist 150 and several others made in Belgium and France that I have examples of. The Medalist has a 6.75" barrel and the Medalist 150 has a 5.9" barrel.

Photograph White Vertebrate Green Air gun

Medalist
Air gun Trigger Ammunition Gun barrel Red

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nomad was the first FN Browning 22, then Challenger, then Medalist. And all 3 were produced at the same time during periods of the FN days of production.

Then Browning 22 production moved to the US and Canada for the Challeger II and III. Finally Browning ended up with the Buckmark that we have today.

There are several variations of the FN models such as the Medalist 150 and several others made in Belgium and France that I have examples of. The Medalist has a 6.75" barrel and the Medalist 150 has a 5.9" barrel.

View attachment 282692

Medalist
View attachment 282693
I had the Medalist in the case. My Bro is always hacking on me for trading it and is always looking for a deal on one. I went from 22 Target pistols to pre 64 m70 Winchesters. I’m not a millionaire and could never owned the hundreds of guns I have had, without trading and selling.

·
Administrator
15,864 Posts
I had the Medalist in the case. My Bro is always hacking on me for trading it and is always looking for a deal on one. I went from 22 Target pistols to pre 64 m70 Winchesters. I’m not a millionaire and could never owned the hundreds of guns I have had, without trading and selling.
Deals on a Medalist in presentation case are rare. Generally well over $1000. I lucked on this one for $900 several years ago.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, it went with gun. I’ve probably got enough S&W and Colt screw driver to finance a nice pistol, but I don’t have any Browning accessories. In handguns I’ve only bought the Medalist and a HP new and that was in 71 or 72.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deals on a Medalist in presentation case are rare. Generally well over $1000. I lucked on this one for $900 several years ago.
Last one we looked at was $1200 and was missing forearm . Bro would no doubt go for $1200 on nice, entire outfit. We don’t see that many of them in these parts. I don’t remember what I paid for mine. I’m going to guess less than $200.

·
Registered
90 Posts

View attachment 282692

Medalist
View attachment 282693
Excellent post, beautiful pistols.

·
Registered
109 Posts

View attachment 282692

Medalist
View attachment 282693

The Medalist's and Challengers with 5.9" barrels are quite uncommon on this side of the pond. Couple of years ago, I let a early blued International Medalist slip through my fingers. Always regretted it.

When the International Shooting Union changed their regs, regarding barrel length and grip diameter in the early 70's. The European pistol competitors, had to cease using the original long barreled fat grip Medalists. That's how the International Medalists and the Challenger 150's came into being. But relatively few were sold over here. Mostly gray market and personal import. Although Browning might have imported and sold a few.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts