The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my Grandfather’s 12 Gauge semi-auto Browning. He bought it used from a friend who was hard up for cash. I don’t know what he paid for it but I remember him saying, “I feel like I stole the **** thing!”

I have no idea what the year or model is. I’ve never even shot this gun but it’s mine now and any info y’all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully there are enough pics to give you an idea of condition and possible value. The opposite side of the barrel is stamped, “Made In Belgium.”

8E06D837-1476-4A31-86D5-BAAD3D8AFE0D.jpeg 9D274B3D-A3C4-4B2E-9350-695DEB46A414.jpeg 34A529AC-8737-4202-9603-7E49F1304042.jpeg 7E1ADFD5-7B65-4A4C-8051-DB7854B1298D.jpeg 32F689BC-81A4-4A4F-B1D7-9C14410E7A17.jpeg 0D81034F-FE05-419B-B446-38D8D375FAF4.jpeg 4ED05424-4F1B-4570-BA60-6F9B17C4585E.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,369 Posts
Not sure of the value of yours but for reference I just paid $700 for a Browning Light Twelve. Came with two barrels, metal is immaculate and the wood has on ding, I’m guessing from a belt buckle. Also the stock has not been cut and it has the original buttplate.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the value of yours but for reference I just paid $700 for a Browning Light Twelve. Came with two barrels, metal is immaculate and the wood has on ding, I’m guessing from a belt buckle. Also the stock has not been cut and it has the original buttplate.
Browning Light Twelve got me on the right track and I did some internet digging. It’s actually a Browning Auto 5 made in 1949 according to the serial #. This is pre “Light” and “Standard” models which started in 1953.

Still unsure of a price though.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,916 Posts
That looks just like dad's Belgian browning A5. The safety on the front of the trigger guard are the same. I believe later models had the push button safety at the rear of the trigger guard.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I see them at gun shows around Wyoming from time to time. Real nice Belgium A-5 models in 12 gauge, light twelves are priced around $500 that's with a fixed choke. Sweet 16's and Lightweight 20's in good shape bring quite a bit more than the 12's. I love A-5's and always check them out when I see them.
A-5's in tough shape fetch $300+. I did see a nice older Belgium A-5 with 2 barrels, one with chokes & a vent rib and the other was a slug barrel with iron sights priced at $950, it was still there at closing on the last day.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, considering this gun is around 71 years old, I think it’s in pretty good condition. Don’t think my grandfather shot it much after he bought it. He wasn’t one to do a lot of shooting unless he was hunting. I did shoot trap with him a few times though. Kinda disappointed in the prices but it’s not going anywhere any time soon.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,916 Posts
I'd say do your own search through places that sell guns--online stores, auctions etc. to see what they are going for.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say do your own search through places that sell guns--online stores, auctions etc. to see what they are going for.
I've been doing some internet searching. I've seen several on that auction site which shall not be named and they are going between $450 to $1500 depending on condition, year, model, etc. I'm guessing this one would fall into the $500 to $700 range considering its age and condition. There's no way I would part with it for that. I doubt I would sell it for any of the higher amounts either. It's a family heirloom and way to cool of a gun to part with. It's good to know for insurance reasons though.

·
Premium Member
17,229 Posts
A-5s are just great Shotguns. I think what keeps the price down on the 12 gauges is that they made so many for so long that there are lots out there for sale. but because there are so many out there shows what a great guns these are! Good for you to keep it the family.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Well, considering this gun is around 71 years old, I think it’s in pretty good condition. Don’t think my grandfather shot it much after he bought it. He wasn’t one to do a lot of shooting unless he was hunting. I did shoot trap with him a few times though. Kinda disappointed in the prices but it’s not going anywhere any time soon.
Don't take my word as gospel Willie. Wyoming isn't really considered shotgun country. It's been my experience that the younger folks go for Benellis , Franchi and other shotguns that are not recoil operated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts