The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Browning Over/Under via *********. Gun bought on the condition of "AS IS - No Return / No Refund". When the shotgun arrived it was clear to me that it had been handled a lot but that it was new and therefore unfired. The shotgun will NOT COME TOGETHER. I took it to friends that either own a Browning currently and some who have owned a Browning in the past. Neither of them could put the shotgun together. Some suggested that I take the shotgun to a gunsmith but I counter argued that I should not have to pay for the repair of a brand new shotgun. So I sent a letter to Browning. About a month later they wrote and suggested that I send the gun to the Browning repair facility at Arnold, Missouri. It is now more than a month later and no response. Perhaps I should be patient and wait. But I have to wonder why it has taken so long nor why the receiver will not accept the barrels. Surely I will be asked to pay for the cost of sending the shotgun to them and for the cost of returning the gun back to me. ANY COMMENTS / SUGGESTIONS? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
This could take some time. Several people have to inspect it and make a recommendation. Then, presuming they will fix it, some gunsmith has to schedule the work, and there might be a backlog.

Meanwhile, they are tracing the serial number to find out why you have it and not the previous owner who also complained about the same problem.

If you have somebody's e-mail, just send them a polite inquiry, (or call) but be prepared to wait for it.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Designer, thank you for your response. Please explain what you mean when you say, "Meanwhile, they are tracing the serial number to find out why you have it and not the previous owner who also complained about the same problem". How can anyone trace the serial number when I have not given it to anyone?
Browning has always been slow at repairs. Give it some more time.
It was common at the shop I worked at to have repairs done in about three months.
Browning has always been slow at repairs. Give it some more time.
It was common at the shop I worked at to have repairs done in about three months.
grist, thank you for your response. Right now I feel that my only option is to wait. Thankfully I have another Browning as back-up.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Didn't you tell us that you sent the shotgun to Browning?

Therefore:

Browning has the number, both on the firearm, and in their records. I am only guessing that the previous owner made a complaint, but chances are very good that I'm right.

If I'm correct; this could be a bad omen for any possible warranty repairs on the shotgun because it could mean that Browning has already denied warranty coverage on that particular shotgun, therefore the former owner sold it "as is".

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Designer, thank you for your response. Please explain what you mean when you say, "Meanwhile, they are tracing the serial number to find out why you have it and not the previous owner who also complained about the same problem". How can anyone trace the serial number when I have not given it to anyone?

grist, thank you for your response. Right now I feel that my only option is to wait. Thankfully I have another Browning as back-up.
Didn't you tell us that you sent the shotgun to Browning?

Therefore:

Browning has the number, both on the firearm, and in their records. I am only guessing that the previous owner made a complaint, but chances are very good that I'm right.

If I'm correct; this could be a bad omen for any possible warranty repairs on the shotgun because it could mean that Browning has already denied warranty coverage on that particular shotgun, therefore the former owner sold it "as is".
NO, I sent a letter to Browning. Did not want to spend money to send the shotgun to Browning in Utah. A gun that they might not be willing to repair. Besides, as I found out in a letter Browning sent to me, I would have to send the shotgun to the Browning repair facility at Arnold, MO. I have sent a letter to the repair facility and am waiting for a response from them. Don't know how long I will have to wait. As you suggested,"this could be a bad omen for any possible warranty repairs". So now I'll have to wait and see. If Browning does NOTHING to make it right, I have a plan B.

·
Premium Member
10,308 Posts
Are we talking Citori, Superposed, just what shotgun do you have? You may have said but I missed it if you did.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are we talking Citori, Superposed, just what shotgun do you have? You may have said but I missed it if you did.
9. Firpo , sorry I did not specify which model it is. It is a Browning White Lighting 12 gauge Over/Under. The shotgun arrived in 2 pieces. The barrels will not engage to the receiver. Several people have tried but it can't be done. Someone suggested that I take the gun to a gunsmith (who would rightfully want a fee for the service) but I don't think I should have to pay for a gunsmith when it should be up to Browning to make it right. It is a new shotgun. And a Browning to boot !

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
So I sent a letter to Browning. About a month later they wrote and suggested that I send the gun to the Browning repair facility at Arnold, Missouri. It is now more than a month later and no response.
O.K., I see my mistake now. I simply misunderstood your post. Sorry for missing that.

So lemme see if I've got it now.

All you sent was a letter.

How are they supposed to evaluate the shotgun without the actual shotgun?

What is your Plan B?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
The barrels will not engage to the receiver.
I just thought of another question:

Do the numbers match?

If the barrels and receiver have non-matching serial numbers, that would indicate that somebody sold you pieces of two different shotguns.

·
Super Moderator
41,377 Posts
So I sent a letter to Browning. About a month later they wrote and suggested that I send the gun to the Browning repair facility at Arnold, Missouri.
It sounds to me like they answered your letter and are waiting for you to take the next step which is to send the shotgun to the repair facility.

And, for what it's worth, you did buy it AS IS so you knew it was broken when you bought it!!

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
You need to CALL Browning and explain what is going on. Have the shot gun so when they ask for the ser. Number you have it.
They will tell you if the shotgun has been to them for repairs and the results of what happened.
When you buy a gun as is then you have to expect to spend some more money.
It would take me 5-10 min. to say why it will not connect so a gunsmith should not charge you much to say what is wrong. And how much it will cost to fix it.
By the way if you do not know it already I am a gunsmith.
Mike

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O.K., I see my mistake now. I simply misunderstood your post. Sorry for missing that.

So lemme see if I've got it now.

All you sent was a letter.

How are they supposed to evaluate the shotgun without the actual shotgun?

What is your Plan B?
Yes I only sent a letter to Browning in Utah asking them to allow me to send the gun to them for repair(s). Browning then sent me a letter indicating that they do not do repairs in Utah and that I should send the shotgun to the repair facility at Arnold, Missouri. I have sent a letter to the facility at Arnold, MO. asking them to allow me send the shotgun to them for inspection and repair(s) as necessary - repairs for which I should NOT have to pay nor should I have to pay for shipping in either direction. I have yet to hear from them. Anyone buying a NEW Browning should not be having ANY problems; this is, after all, a Browning. Still formalizing Plan B.

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
I am sorry to say this but you WILL have to pay for shipping to them you will not be charged for sipping back.
AGAIN CALL THEM.....
You can file a complaint on GB about the person you got it from but remember it said AS IS and that should have rang a bell.
You should have e-mailed the seller and asked what is wrong with the gun.
How much did you pay for it?.
Mike

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You need to CALL Browning and explain what is going on. Have the shot gun so when they ask for the ser. Number you have it.
They will tell you if the shotgun has been to them for repairs and the results of what happened.
When you buy a gun as is then you have to expect to spend some more money.
It would take me 5-10 min. to say why it will not connect so a gunsmith should not charge you much to say what is wrong. And how much it will cost to fix it.
By the way if you do not know it already I am a gunsmith.
Mike
goofy, thank you for your suggestion. As far as you being a gunsmith, if I were to send the gun to, you will have the right to charge me a fee for your service. From my point of view I should be able to send the gun to Browning at no charge, Browning should make it right and ship the gun back to me at no charge. Am I asking tooooo much?

·
Premium Member
10,308 Posts
Thing is you didn't buy the gun from a licensed dealer but a private party which may negate the warranty. If it were me, I'd be pretty ticked at myself if I'd dinked around all this time, which to me time has value, to only find out a good gunsmith could have had the thing up and running for $20 at this point months earlier to boot.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thing is you didn't buy the gun from a licensed dealer but a private party which may negate the warranty. If it were me, I'd be pretty ticked at myself if I'd dinked around all this time, which to me time has value, to only find out a good gunsmith could have had the thing up and running for $20 at this point months earlier to boot.
Firpo, thank you for your comments. My inclination is to wait for a response from the Browning repair facility in Missouri. If they do nothing then I will seek another resolution like taking it to a local gunsmith for repair as you have suggested. Being that it is a new shotgun it would seem to me that this is a Browning problem and that Browning should repair the shotgun at no cost to me nor should there be shipping charges or any other fees. Am I asking too much? When you buy anything I expect you want the product to work and for the company stand behind that product if need be.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Firpo, thank you for your comments. My inclination is to wait for a response from the Browning repair facility in Missouri. If they do nothing then I will seek another resolution like taking it to a local gunsmith for repair as you have suggested. Being that it is a new shotgun it would seem to me that this is a Browning problem and that Browning should repair the shotgun at no cost to me nor should there be shipping charges or any other fees. Am I asking too much? When you buy anything I expect you want the product to work and for the company to stand behind that product if need be.
Firpo, I forgot to mention that I bought the shotgun from a legitimate dealer in Florida.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Why would someone sell a new shotgun as is? The dealer does not warranty it the manufacturer does. Something is wrong here. Browning makes very good shotguns.

At my LGS and Cabela's I see guns marked as is all the time. I always assume something is bad. I never want to buy a problem. I get enough for free.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts