The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this is not the right forum to ask this question. My dad passed away a couple of years ago and as my brother and I were dividing his guns I was the recipeint of his T Bolt. The butt stock region is damaged with severe cracking. As I have done some limited research on this I am assuming that it is "salt stock" that I have heard so much about, especially considering that my dad bought this new around 1970. My question is, what can be done with this stock if anything? Does anyone have any idea where I could find a replacement stock? It obviously has sentimental value to me but it is also a great shooting gun and I would like to repair it so I can use it for years to come and pass down to my daughter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once again, if this is not the appropriate forum to pose these questions I apologize.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I think that the problem with the salt stocks was that the salt they absorbed caused corrosion of the gun's metal parts, not weakness of the wood. Is your T-Bolt corroded where the steel touched or was covered by wood?

Otherwise I don't know anything helpful, except that, yes, this is exactly the right place to ask your question here. Thanks for asking! :)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Thats not a salt stock. The problem was in the drying process, to speed things up the stocks were put in salt mines. After assembly and some years later, that salt absorbed in the wood destroyed the steel of the action in contact with it. I have a salt stock T bolt still in the box. It looks as if the gun was thrown in a lake and never dried off. but its only the areas that contacted the stock and some bleed from those areas. The bore is perfect. The bolt is perfect and the top part of the barrel is perfect. Take the stock off and its totally ate up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts