Buck let me down a little

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by dbcooper, Apr 16, 2017.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

Last year I bought a new Buck Endeavor fixed blade for use around the ranch and just for a good back up survival knife
    The blade is stainless 622

I always wiped it down before putting it up and often applied a light oil

IMAG3110.jpg

IMAG3109.jpg

I haven't had it out of the kydex sheeth in a few months so yesterday I noticed light rust spots just starting on it

I was disappointed in the quality of this steel. I admit I know nothing about 622 but all of my knives get used and treated the same and this is the only one to do this

I used some flitz and a cloth grinding wheel to lightly buff them off

Now I know I'll just have to give this blade a little extra attention

BlackEagle and Broot like this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I just looked at my Buck 673 that hangs on my black powder gun rack. It has been some time since I looked at it. It still looks fine. Where do you store this?

BlackEagle and Broot like this.

3. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I have a small SHTF bag that stays with me. I have 3 knives in a side zipper pouch.

Broot likes this.
  4. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

DB, are you keeping something from us? Did you clean it in the dishwasher? :p

Firpo, ysacres, rawright54 and 5 others like this.
  5. Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

One thing to remember is that not all stainless is equal. Ones with a higher chromium content are going to be more rust resistant, but would not be suitable for a knife.

I believe your knife is a model 622, not the steel. It should actually be made out of 420HC, which is a high carbon stainless. This makes a pretty good knife, but is not the best stainless as far as rust goes. It seems like the more carbon in a blade, the more chance of rust you will get. Doesnt mean it's not a good knife, just that it will take a little more upkeep.

dbcooper and Broot like this.
  6. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Stainless isn't rust proof, if it has enough carbon in it to harden and temper it to hold a cutting edge, it can and will rust, just not as fast or as badly as normal carbon steel.

You still need to keep them cleaned and lightly oiled just like any other blade, just not as often.

joe45c and Broot like this.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I don't care much for stainless blades and I don't mind if they get a brown patina.

joe45c likes this.
  8. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member

Broke a blade on a Buck Knife years back. Shipped it back. Got a new replacement in the mail with a note saying "Buck Knifes don't brake":cool::D;)

joe45c, Broot and BlackEagle like this.
  9. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Any knife can break. I broke a tip off my 110. Good thing about Buck is they fix 'em for free.

10. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

About twenty five years ago back in NY an acquaintance of mine was going through an absolutely horrible, bare knuckles brawl divorce, so he took some personal items and left them in the safe keeping of his attorney waiting for the dust to settle. Among these items were a Smith Model 60 and Model 66 4" - both stainless, and both stored in fleece lined leather carry cases. Both had also been liberally doused with WD-40 before being locked up in the attorney's safe. Fast forward about five years, the divorce is finalized, and he retrieves his revolvers. Both were pitted and cratered like the surface of the moon. I'd seen tarnished stainless carry guns, but never anything like that.

11. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Good to know. I have 4 folding Bucks and one fixed blade. I haven't broken any blades yet. I have had them from the early '80's.

dbcooper likes this.
  12. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

We've had stainless steel inline muzzle loaders come in to the shop that were rusted up so bad the bore looked like the inside of a sewer pipe, the idiots figgered that being stainless they didn't have to clean them after shooting them.

dbcooper, joe45c and nmckenzie like this.
  13. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

OMG, here we go again...:D:D:D

buck 1.jpg

dbcooper, Broot and Grizzley1 like this.
  14. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's I bought Buck's but the tips would break on them so I started to buy Gerber's but then their quality went down in the 80's. Since the 90's I only buy Benchmade's and have not had a problem with them other then loosing them. Also. All of the Benchmade's I have had and have do not rust.

dbcooper likes this.