Budget shotgun for range use/home defense

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by La_Porta, May 2, 2018.

1. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

The 870 is a good choice. Yes, it's a bit heftier, but that will help with felt recoil. Some of the light guns will kick your head off!

joe45c likes this.
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

I vote early 870 with steel receiver and chambered in 3" as this allows use of the shorter 2 3/4" inch shells and sometimes they will feed the even shorter 2" defense niche rounds.
    While some may claim it to be heavier it is harder to destroy and the options for the 870 are endless.......from bird hunting to full out tactical....if you lean that way.

3. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I opted for the SuperMag with 3 1/2" chamber. Imagine a bad guy taking 1 3/4oz of lead shot

4. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member

Get her a Judge.

5. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

I kind of wanted to get one of those circuit judge carbines.

6. La_Porta

La_Porta Member

Definitely noticed the heft of this model vs the Winchester Defender that I checked out in the store, but better for recoil for sure. I'm taking it out to the range this Friday to give it a run-in.

joe45c likes this.
  7. La_Porta

La_Porta Member

Well, took it to the range today. Being my first own shotgun, and having used my brother-in-law's 20 gauge for skeet, I was, shall we say, taken aback by the recoil from the 12 gauge! Staff helping me with stance helped, and I was well on target about 30 feet out. Shoulder is sore this evening...but at least I got the thing out and gave it a go. I can't imagine how much more I'd have felt it with a light synthetic model.

8. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Every time you feel that shoulder stiffen up... Smile! I do every time!

9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Get a Limbsaver. I have several shotguns that are no fun to shoot unless I use one of these. A well made and designed shotgun tame the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun. My Beretta Black Onyx and Remington 1100 can be shot all day long with no problem with recoil.
    upload_2018-5-26_7-31-54.png
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/LIMBSAVER-AIRTECH-SLIP-ON/1996400.uts?slotId=1
    These things slip on the stock and really work. I can shoot my Mossberg 535 with magnum loads all day.

joe45c likes this.