The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One more question then I will shut my hole for awhile.
I purchased a Aero precision complete lower in the M4E1 configuration. Registered as a lower receiver and is stamped as multi cal.
This lower came with a h3 carbine buffer tube and I bought a brace to fit it.
I purchased a 300BO complete upper from PSA that came with a 7" barrel. After I bought it, I decided
I wanted a longer barrel so I bought a Bear creek arsenal 10.5" heavy barrel to install after my tools arrive to swap it out with. I'm concerned about over gassing my buffer with the pistol length gas block. Should I need to get a pistol buffer tube and then have to buy another brace to fit it? My wife aint real pleased with my money spending so I want to do what is necessary but I do not want to waste money if I do not need to. Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Well shucky-durn....I thought it was going to be something about how to get higher performance out of your floor buffer when you ride it....:D

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Well Patches, if you got a good belly laugh out of it....I'm not sorry!!!...:D

Southbuck, with my buffer comment I also told you all I know about buffers in AR platform firearms. Laying off beans might help though....:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Patches, if you got a good belly laugh out of it....I'm not sorry!!!...:D

Southbuck, with my buffer comment I also told you all I know about buffers in AR platform firearms. Laying off beans might help though....:rolleyes:
Well, then that makes sense why you thought of riding a floor buffer! lol:duh:

·
Super Moderator
38,520 Posts
If you stand by for a little while longer, I am sure you will get a real answer to your question. We do have some members that seem to really know their stuff when it comes to ARs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you stand by for a little while longer, I am sure you will get a real answer to your question. We do have some members that seem to really know their stuff when it comes to ARs.
I am in no rush, not even going to put a round through the 7". Still waiting on my barrel nut grease and AR tools, with vice block coming in the mail, Now THAT I am getting impatient on. Then going to take it to my gun smith to check head spacing for assurance all is good. Did not want to spend $100 for something I only need once. Thanks though.

·
Super Moderator
38,520 Posts
I have never had a head spacing problem on any AR. I have built about a dozen in the past couple of years. I do, however, have go/no go gauge.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have never had a head spacing problem on any AR. I have built about a dozen in the past couple of years. I do, however, have go/no go gauge.
Those cost about $50 each. My gun smith was going to put the barrel on for $30 but I want to do it just for the learning.

·
Super Moderator
38,520 Posts
I did not realize they cost so much! I bought mine so long ago that I don't even remember what I paid and besides, I haven't seen them is some time now. I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't really need to headspace an AR!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand, my smith will double check it for free and he lives 15 minutes away. I read online of a couple people that did run into a problem and I believe what your saying. It is just a safety thing that I don't feel will hurt. I appreciate your help.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did not realize they cost so much! I bought mine so long ago that I don't even remember what I paid and besides, I haven't seen them is some time now. I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't really need to headspace an AR!
300BO is a kinda new caliber (2011) at least to me. If I need to go to a 5.56 at least I will be able to swap barrels and go. Then I probably would not worry about the factory having a head spacing issue.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's great! I can always switch to 5.56 if I decide I do not like it. Same BCG, same magazines, same capacity, only a barrel swap. Many people do like it. I guess I will find out. How about the over gassing? The buffer?

·
Super Moderator
38,520 Posts
I never experienced any "over gassing" that I know of, I actually don't even know what that means. When I built it, I bought a standard collapsible carbine buttstock with whatever buffer and spring that it came with.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When an AR is over gassed the bolt speed increases and this can cause rounds to not be picked up or the bolt not locking back on an empty magazine. It can also effect how well the gun ejects the spent rounds. Both of these problems are problems with reliability.

I copied and pasted the information for you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts