The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I never experienced any "over gassing" that I know of, I actually don't even know what that means. When I built it, I bought a standard collapsible carbine buttstock with whatever buffer and spring that it came with.
I thought when you said "built" I assumed you assembled all the parts from a stripped receiver. Putting a assembled lower with a assembled upper together is just what I did. But I do not classify that as me building it. I just put the 2 parts together. Just a misunderstanding.

·
Super Moderator
38,498 Posts
I bought part kits and separate parts from all over the place and built the guns from nothing. In two cases, I built the lower (from nothing) and slapped a complete upper receiver on them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I will be "building" my next AR but that is neither here nor there. I'm just hoping that those who know what over gassing is can help let me know if I need a different buffer or not. I can finish the project and just shoot it to find out first hand if I am over gassed or not. I am one who would like to do this project right the first time and have a "flawless" first time at the range with it. That's all, thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
25,717 Posts
Best I can suggest is try it. It most likely will be since the standard carbine buffer is 3 ounces and a standard pistol buffer is 5 ounces.

·
Super Moderator
38,498 Posts
I think @zant could shed a lot of light on the question, it seems that he knows a great deal about the workings of AR's!! Hopefully he will show up and add his comments.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Just put it together....A 10.5 is superior in all aspects in .300Wh...if this is a supersonic only-yes a H3 buffer with normal spring and pistol gas tube are the correct pieces to start with...My 10.5 PDW runs a Geiselle G42 spring with a H2(G spring is STIFF),it operates flawlessly with supers......it will not cycle subs..I have 7.5/8.5/10.5/16" uppers for experimenting and have basically thrown 7.5/8.5 uppers in the back of room-they suck.
I have headspace guages-have put together about 30 uppers and never needed them-every one was well in spec.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow thanks zant, I will go with what I have as I will be reloading only super sonic anyway. The box of sub sonic, I will self cycle until I have the brass to reload. Ok, I will save my time on getting the head spacing check. You don't know my "luck" but I will do it anyway. LOL! Thanks man.

·
Super Moderator
25,717 Posts
I was hoping zant would pop in here.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I bought part kits and separate parts from all over the place and built the guns from nothing. In two cases, I built the lower (from nothing) and slapped a complete upper receiver on them.
I completed two 80% lowers, an AR-15 and an AR-9 glock mag lower. Now I need to build or buy two uppers. Still trying to figure out what caliber to run on the AR-15. 9mm uppers and parts are hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
38,498 Posts
It seems that parts are getting harder to come by and when they are found, they are not affordable any more. If I was going to build another one, it would probably be another 7.62X39.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Wow thanks zant, I will go with what I have as I will be reloading only super sonic anyway. The box of sub sonic, I will self cycle until I have the brass to reload. Ok, I will save my time on getting the head spacing check. You don't know my "luck" but I will do it anyway. LOL! Thanks man.
A down and dirty non technical way to check headspace-hold upper up level-push back of BCG until it's locked into lugs-the BCG will be even with rear of upper....if it sticks out or goes in-then use HS guage...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
A down and dirty non technical way to check headspace-hold upper up level-push back of BCG until it's locked into lugs-the BCG will be even with rear of upper....if it sticks out or goes in-then use HS guage...
Thanks, I do know of that check and I will do that. If I remember right I have to remove the extractor spring first?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Thanks, I do know of that check and I will do that. If I remember right I have to remove the extractor spring first?
No-you only remove extractor/ejector using HS guages

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No-you only remove extractor/ejector using HS guages
Oh,ok. Thanks I will "always" be in the learning stage, no matter what I know or do not know. Open minded is the key to learning.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Oh,ok. Thanks I will "always" be in the learning stage, no matter what I know or do not know. Open minded is the key to learning.
I learn something new every day....and if someone has a better way-I'm old enough to go for it.I've found most problems with ARs is thinking of individual parts-not a system...which a gas firearm is-a system,all parts must work together...Change one thing/everything else will change.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Best I can suggest is try it. It most likely will be since the standard carbine buffer is 3 ounces and a standard pistol buffer is 5 ounces.
For some reason Aero Precision put a 3.5oz buffer in it, but I do not think it will matter. If it will not cycle subs I just will not use em. Thanks!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts