The Firearms Forum banner

Building my first AR-15 in 300 blackout. Thinking about a red dot sight.

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Ibmikey 
#1 ·
Anyone else build theirs in 300 blackout? It would actually be easier for me to do a built in blackout rather than 5.56, simply because my state requires a 5.56 to be a heavy barrel. I'm really excited but not 100% sure about all the parts I want put on it, specifically the red dot. I've only shot a little myself, since the only place to shoot is the one gun range close by and I've never shot blackout. I do have trouble with sights though, since I've very right eye dominant and cannot at least at this point aim with both eyes open. I heard having a red dot sight helps with this problem. When I try to aim with both eyes open, I get this cross eye vision.

#2 ·
My first build was in 5.56, but I have built 2 300 BO's. One has a 1-4x24 Bushnell, the other has an EOTech XPS-3 with a 3X magnifier with a flip to side mount. I have thought about a red dot, but I like having the ability to increase magnification if needed. I can fire either one, when not magnified, both eyes open.

#3 ·
I have a couple ARs that I have built. The latest upper I got is in .300 Blackout and I have decided to use a red-dot sight myself. I ordered one from The Sportsman's Guide a few days ago (and of course it's on back order). I have regular scopes, EOTechs, tube style red-dots, and Iron Sights on my AR's so I wanted something a little different. This is what I ordered:

It was cheap enough ($44) that if I don't like it on the .300, I can always swap scopes/sights with another AR

#5 ·
I'm too lazy to build anything but will buy the upper for 300 blackout. Was going to get a Rock river arms upper since I own a RRA, but since they screwed up and gave money to anti-gun politicians I now have to research a different company.

Reactions: Wotan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.