bulding a mutt

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

pistolsmith

zworld
    (6/24/02 6:05:39 pm)
    Reply building a mutt
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would like to build a truck gun, basically a beater, I don't want to put much money in this gun if I don't have to. This would be a project, just for fun, something to be useful after completion. How cheap can I put one together for. I don't care if all the parts come from old GI parts out of a junk pile. just as long as I can get it to function. thanks zworld

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (6/24/02 8:22:23 pm)
    Reply Re: building a mutt
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You will be better off finding a cheap 1911 in the $300 price range. Building from scratch can be quite expensive. There are still a few Norinco 1911's around for $300 - $350. Excellent pistols.

The Dealer Warehouse has a frame, slide , barrel combo for $179 but the one I saw was pretty crappy. They sell a complete 1911 for $285 . But remember, you get what you pay for.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/24/02 9:38:04 pm)
    Re: building a mutt
    If you just want to build from scratch, let me suggest buying an Essex frame. I've had a couple come through for project guns, and they worked out pretty well.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/25/02 8:20:35 am)
    Hi Zworld......and welcome to TFF!

Good advice. You might might also see if you can find one of those arsenal refurbished Argentine Systema Modelo 1927s......a real nice basic M1911a1 in the $300 range.

If you're going to build one from scratch, I agree with Doc.....my competition gun is built on a 1970s Essex frame.

Edited by: Xracer at: 6/25/02 9:22:47 am

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/25/02 10:30:40 am)
    zw,

To echo what others have said, if you have the time and patience to shop around, you can pick up a used 1911 in the $300 range. Good source of parts is www.brownells.com

If you make a list of parts, you'll find its quite expensive to build a whole gun...kind of like building a car from pep boys!

Check the gun auctions. www.************* and www.auctionarms.com

For example, right now there is a springfield 1911 on ********* (rated excellent condition) for $375, no reserve. Look here:

www.forthehunt.com/auctio...em=4363563

This gun has already passed one whole auction without being bid on, I can't understand why, it seems like a good deal!

I have purchased at least 2 used 1911's for less than $275 each, in recent years.

anchored
    (7/25/02 12:46:56 pm)
    my first 1911 was built that way, I got a book and I got a new alloy frame from I forget where, and took an exploded parts diagram with me to a few gun shows and bought almost all used parts individually, ended up with less than $250 in the gun, worked great for years until i sold it to help pay for school.
    Auction45

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/30/02 6:20:12 pm)
    Dang it!
    I hate it when they come in, make two posts and vanish into thin air. LOL I wanna know what he wound up doing!

Zworld?

z ???

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003