Bull dog head on an IJ Safety Automatic grips?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45Auto, Apr 22, 2009.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

If anyone would know this, I suspect it would be Bill,

I have seen for sale a pair of Iver Johnson revolver grips which look like the grips found on common safety automatic revolvers; The grips have the script IJ in the center and the usual fancy flourishes common to IJ grips from the 1890's until the 1940's. However, in the circle up at the top of each grip there is a bull dog head instead of an owl head. These strange grips are like new and unused.

These grips are not to be confused with the grips found on the Iver Johnson, "American Bull Dog" or "Boston Bull Dog" series of revolvers (I have examples of them. The design of the top of the grip is entirely different from that of the American Bull Dog. These grips appear to have been made to fit the same grip frame as the safety automatic revolver.

Did I.J. ever make grips like the above or is this some after market item? If IJ made such grips what model of Iver Johnson used them?

Thank you for your assistance,

Greg

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these grips are after market that became available about 1960. they are not iver johnson factory original. they are plastic and not the true hard rubber that came from the factory. this grip can still be found unfitted (no screw of locating pin holes). i have one pair purchased in the 1980s just so i could have a set. i have been unable to determine just who the manufacturer is. but one of the retailers was Siles. Siles at one time offered a whole catalog of hard to find replacement grips some exact exact copies some not quite so. these are replica copies of grips iver johnson never used.
    bill

3. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing this up, Bill!

The grips look so nice and the checkering is so sharp I was confused about who made them.

Best regards,
    Greg

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

greg,
    i found an old Sile grip catalog from the mid 1970's and this grip is listed in it.
    bill