The Firearms Forum banner

Bullet Casting Pro's and Con's

15K views 76 replies 20 participants last post by  76Highboy 
#1 ·
Today I went to MidwayUSA and priced out the components needed to begin casting lead bullets. This list included everything from the Lee Pro 4 20lb furnace to the mold handles, and of course two sets of molds. One for .357, and the other for .44. The total comes to approx. $240.00.

The question is this. I currently have about 400lbs of lead in my garage, maybe more. Next month I should get about 100lbs more. Is it worth me getting into casting, or should I sell the lead, and take the $240.00 and invest in production bullets.

For several years I was sending lead to a relative and he was casting it and sending half of it back, and keeping the other half. It was a joint effort and we both benefited. He has plenty of ammo now so has no need to cast it, and I am sitting on a heap of bullets, but sooner or later they will be gone.

My thoughts: I know I will need to restock sooner or later, but overall would it be best to buy production, or bite the bullet now and buy the equipment and begin casting. I just want to be certain before I drop the cash. I will shoot guns until I die, so in my mind I am justifying the purchase. I just want to be sure.

So, is it worth the investment? I am looking for pro's and con's.

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
ok ask this

the stuff will last a lifetime so in your lifetime how many bullets will you buy v make ?

half that and look at the numbers seriously ( a life time is a long time so look at half of it )

if you see variances of $500 or more thats serious money

and then theres the opportunity to sell a few and get cash .. mates rates may not see a profits but its still cash in your pocket

then you can cast sinkers for fishermen , seen the price on them especially the larger ones ??

good $$ to be made there ..

#3 ·
ok ask this

the stuff will last a lifetime so in your lifetime how many bullets will you buy v make ?

half that and look at the numbers seriously ( a life time is a long time so look at half of it )

if you see variances of $500 or more thats serious money

and then theres the opportunity to sell a few and get cash .. mates rates may not see a profits but its still cash in your pocket

then you can cast sinkers for fishermen , seen the price on them especially the larger ones ??

good $$ to be made there ..
So far your spot on. I have thought about ncasting for $ on the side. I feel that over the long haul it would pay for it's self. Through Midway $250.00 will get my roughly 2500 bullets, and that is only .38 cal. 45acp, 45Colt, and 44mag and much more so I could see it paying for it's self within a year, maybe two.

They would also make for great TFF giveaways.

Thanks Jack.

#8 ·
Making bullets for profit in the US does require a federal license, unfortunately.
400 pounds? Holy cow - I'm happy when my stash is up about 50 pounds! That will take you a while to burn through! Casting is a fun and easy, but time consuming. If you like doing it, that's no problem.
That's a lot of money to get started - are you buying a lot of molds or just a few high dollar ones? Most of mine are Lee and work just fine - the only semi-expensive one I have is the NOE, a very good mold.
Number one casting resource on the web is castboolits.gunloads.com.

#9 ·
That's what I was thinking.

I have a few Lyman molds. The reason I have them is because Lee didn't make that bullet size.

I have not worn out or broken a Lee mold.

I started casting with a iron pot on a coleman stove, pan lubed and used a cake-cutter. Total investment was about 25 dollars, and ten of that was for the Lee mold. Last few times I've done any casting, I used a cast-iron sauce pan I bought at a yard sale, and did it on the kitchen stove (the joys of being divorced).

I've got an electric pot, but unless I'm planning on doing a few hundred to a few thousand bullets, I don't even get it out any more. A pot and a ladle just seems more - right.

I think, before I dumped a couple of hundred bucks in this hobby, I'd go cheap and see if I liked it.

#12 ·
armoredman;971735[COLOR=red said:
]Making bullets for profit in the US does require a federal license, unfortunately. [/COLOR]
400 pounds? Holy cow - I'm happy when my stash is up about 50 pounds! That will take you a while to burn through! Casting is a fun and easy, but time consuming. If you like doing it, that's no problem.
That's a lot of money to get started - are you buying a lot of molds or just a few high dollar ones? Most of mine are Lee and work just fine - the only semi-expensive one I have is the NOE, a very good mold.
Does that go for just the bullet or for the loaded ammo?

#13 ·
Making bullets for profit in the US does require a federal license, unfortunately.
Today after work I will put my detailed list on with my prices and then maybe you guys can tell me if what I am looking at is right.

Thanks armored man and Alpo.

#14 ·

I have a few Lyman molds. The reason I have them is because Lee didn't make that bullet size.

I started casting with a iron pot on a coleman stove, pan lubed and used a cake-cutter. Total investment was about 25 dollars, and ten of that was for the Lee mold. Last few times I've done any casting, I used a cast-iron sauce pan I bought at a yard sale, and did it on the kitchen stove (the joys of being divorced).

I've got an electric pot, but unless I'm planning on doing a few hundred to a few thousand bullets, I don't even get it out any more. A pot and a ladle just seems more - right.

I think, before I dumped a couple of hundred bucks in this hobby, I'd go cheap and see if I liked it.
I did it when I was a teenager with my father so I know I would like it. I just want to make sure that financially it is worth it.

Thanks Alpo.

#16 ·
High boy a friend of mine who i conned into doing it , ;) , worked a deal , what cast bullets went for , he got 80% of on store credit in trade .. he's in montana
Brilliant. I know alot of gun shops. Later today I will post my list and see what is needed and what is not. The hobby in general sounds like fun. Also, if they limit the purchase of bullets one day, it would not affect m, nor would the price increase.

#17 ·
Well Highboy, I have been debating this same topic recently. I am not sure what I will do, but I have a couple of shops around town i have been getting lead from......so far I have around 200-300 lbs. Sometimes I see crazy good deals on used stuff......on craigslist and various other places......but I never have the cash to take advantage of it.

#18 ·
Alpo, I put a gas check on every .44 mag and .357 bullet I cast.

Highboy, before you spend that $240 at midway, you might want to look at Graf & sons for the same items. I have found that Grafs may be a tiny bit more on some items, in the long run it ends up being cheaper because of the shipping charges. Midway is kind of high on ship and handle charges where Grafs only charges a handling charge.

I have a couple of Lee molds that I have been using for 30+ years and have not worn them out yet. If you decide to sell the lead, I would like to take some of it off your hands!

#20 ·
gas checks add (a very small amount) to the price per shot but they help keep the bore from leading up as fast. I generally don't use GC's on pistol though, I do for much of my rifle molds.

from my point of view, there are no cons, only pros for casting your own! I'm addicted... it's a handy skill to have for fishing or shooting and it's a hellufa lots of relaxing fun not to mention satisfaction. Just make sure you do it safely; eyepro, heavy apron or clothes and good ventilation.

you can handle lead all day and not get any in your system, the only ways to absorb lead is ingestion or inhalation of lead fumes. (don't lick your fingers!)

happy castin' to ya!

#22 ·
gas checks add (a very small amount) to the price per shot but they help keep the bore from leading up as fast. I generally don't use GC's on pistol though, I do for much of my rifle molds.

from my point of view, there are no cons, only pros for casting your own! I'm addicted... it's a handy skill to have for fishing or shooting and it's a hellufa lots of relaxing fun not to mention satisfaction. Just make sure you do it safely; eyepro, heavy apron or clothes and good ventilation.

you can handle lead all day and not get any in your system, the only ways to absorb lead is ingestion or inhalation of lead fumes. (don't lick your fingers!)

happy castin' to ya!
My father and I have always shook our heads at the ones that blame lead poisoning on reloading. Of all the lead we have handled we have never had lead poisoning. I agree on what you say about the handling of it.

#23 ·

Oh ya, I just asked my wife what she thought about me casting of the stove. I got the evil eye.:eek:

#24 ·
you should have seen my wife when she walked in and I was heating a cast iron crank pulley in the oven prior to pressing it on the crankshaft of my 40's farmall C tractor.. plus had the front grill in the dish washer... and a couple rubber grommets in a quart saucepan heating them in water prior to installing them ( soften up the leather and rubber ).

she about flipped!

#25 · (Edited)
It is an expence up front but after a few thousand it will pay for its self. I just got lucky to sell cast bullets to a few friends and that payed for it faster. I dont charge more than $75.00 per 1K. Thats still cheaper then some places but my friends dont pay for the shipping. so in the long run its cheaper for them. NO FFL needed to sell just the cast bullets.

It's fun! I love doing the casting! It is a little bit of work. It is a bit hot. But when you load them up and go shoot is a great feeling when you send that peace of lead that you cast, down range. Its fun to experiment with diffrent leads and mix the diffrent hardness just to see what you can come up with. I did with my 38 and I have my own lead mix. My lead mix for the 38 is just a bit softer then the WW's But i have no lead fowling.

#26 ·
It is an expence up front but after a few thousand it will pay for its self. I just got lucky to sell cast bullets to a few friends and that payed for it faster. I dont charge more than $75.00 per 1K. Thats still cheaper then some places but my friends dont pay for the shipping. so in the long run its cheaper for them. NO FFL needed to sell just the cast bullets.
That is what I thought and that is just what I plan on doing. I just want to sell enough to initially pay for my E.Q. and then support the powder and primer cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.