The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was loading 9mm lead with TG. My oal was 1.136. The bullet shot good and all was fine. Now I wanna switch powders to WSF. The only data I find is on Hodgdon for a 124gr .355 lead bullet. Mine is 125gr..356 RN bullet. The data says start at 4.0 grs and max at 4.7 grs. With a OAL of 1.169". Is the .001 dif in dia. a big deal. And the oal it gives is pretty long it's actually at the lube line. I like the 1.136 OAL for my gun. I know that seating deeper will cuz more pressure. Is that start charge good for that bullet dia?

·
Super Moderator
44,908 Posts
You can use the data for a 124 grain bullet for the 125 grainers that you have. One grain is nothing. Have you ever weighed any of the lead bullets? You ain't going to find any that weigh the exact same weight. The 9mm can be either .355 or .356 so you will not have any problems with that .001 of an inch. I have never used any WSF powder so all I can tell you there is start at the minimum powder and work up!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm a big fan of WSF, especially in heavier 9mm bullets like the 135 and 147. As noted above, you can use the 124 data. I'm not sure Hodgdon isn't just showing max OAL. I would work up from the start load at the OAL that functions in your pistol, I tend to run LTC in the 1.13 to 1.14 range. Slowly increase the charge until you get the performance you are looking for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts