Bullet puller & generic gunsmithing tip

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RandyP, Dec 23, 2009.

1. RandyP

RandyP Active Member

My tip for very inexpensive no-mar surfaces when tapping out pins/general gunsmithing/gasket hole punching/etc. tasks?

Go to the nearest megamart/sportinggoodsmart and buy a couple black rubber hockey pucks. Usually the cheapest no-brand ones are under a couple bucks.

They work great and also make a nice strike surface for a kinetic bullet puller hammer.

2. the morning light

the morning light Member

Got some pucks laying around in the shed, may as well put them on the work bench and maybe they'll get some use again.

3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Helluva idea !! I've got a few old pucks laying around also; think I'll mount it to an unused portion of my bench if I can find one.... ;)

4. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

i am confused and in need, please explain. Just a heads up i am the opposite of an engineer and amazed by mechanics if that tells you anything.

5. Freebore

Freebore Member

Excellent tip....using the kinetic puller on a hockey puck is a lot quieter than wacking it on the top of my press

Thanks for the great idea..

Happy Holidays :D

6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Next thing ya know, hockey pucks are going to $25 a pop and on back order for 6 months.......... :D:D:D:D WORKS GREAT !!! I put 4 #10 screws from the bottom side of my bench into the puck approx 1/2"; it is solid and makes a nice "target" !

7. RandyP

RandyP Active Member

for zkovach,

the puck is a great portable, inexpensive and virtually indestructable work surface for many projects. You put it on the table/floor whatever and hit it with the kinetic bullet puller rather than marring the floor or your table top.

If you need to do gunsmithing involving using a punch to remove a roll pin, just drill a 1/4" hole in another puck and place the gun part above the hole and safely punch out the pin. Again, no damage to your kitchen table/work bench and no damage to the gun part.

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

heck yeah!!!! merry christmas to me;)

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Randy, thanks for the idea, it would never have occurred to me in a couple of million years. I've never had any use for a hockey puck before, especially here in Georgia.

10. RandyP

RandyP Active Member

Noting gdmoodys' sig line.....I carry a gun because carrying a police officer is too hard on my back and they squirm around too much.