The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now mind you I'm new at this.

But my buddy asked me a good question about reloading. He asked why does one bullet type have a different powder load than a bullet of a different type of the same weight.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
The ballistic coefficient (BC) of a body is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight. BC is a function of mass, diameter, and drag coefficient. Because of this different powders, slower, or faster burning rates, are recomended for different BC's. In pistol ammo reloading it's not that big of a deal, unless you are trying to build the very best bullet for your particular gun! I hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
As Carver said, different construction methods might make bullets that react differently to being pushed through the bore. An extreme example would be a cast lead bullet vs. a conventional jacketed lead-core bullet, vs. a pure copper solid (like a Barnes X design). Each of those bullet types react differently when pushed through the bore.

And it is also possible that there was just different results when the two companies developed the load data for their particular bullet. Each company that develops their own data might get different results during their testing. Typically, most bullet manufacturer's manuals only include the "top candidates" out of all the powders they tested with their bullets. If it was a poor performer (during their testing) it might get omitted from the list.
Even if they used the same powder, they might've gotten different results...whether it was because of a different test firearm, different lots of powder, etc.
Many variables come into play, which is why it is a good idea to have several different manuals on the shelf and use them on a cross-comparison basis. If a certain load is listed as functional in more than one manual, then it is most likely a good performer.
Once you've found a combination that looks like a promising candidate, now it's time to give it a try in your own firearm.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Now mind you I'm new at this.

But my buddy asked me a good question about reloading. He asked why does one bullet type have a different powder load than a bullet of a different type of the same weight.
Could you be more specific, examples would help?

To answer your question as I understand it, They don't.
If you look at any bullet manufacturer's load manual you will see all the different types of bullets they manufacture all on the same page and all using the same data.
For example, Hornady #7, 30-06, 150-155gr data page lists seven(7) different bullet types on the same page. IB(Inter Bond), SST, SP(soft point), BTSP(Boat Tail Soft Point), RN (Round Nose), BT-FMJ(Boat Tail Full Metal Jacket) and A-Max. Seven (7) different type bullets all using the exact same data.

Sierra, Speer, Nosler, etc. all list data the same way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Carver and Bindernut I think that answers my question.

Steve He only text me the question we have opposite schudules so I see what he is accually talking about. His not much for forums but I find them including this one the be a great help with helpful and friendly people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts