The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently been looking into making my own bullets due to the shortage. This is a swaging site that sells dies. They seem to be a lot cheaper than the ones I've found, like Corbin etc. These dies are like $65 or something close to that. This is the link to the page. It describes the dies I'm wondering if anyone knows about the material and if they sound good. Has anyone heard of this place or used these dies. Will they last a good while. Are they worth it to try or what. Let me know please. Here's the link http://www.hawkbullets.com/swage-it.htm

Any feedback will help.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Go to Lee.com or Midway for the Lee swager and lube setup. I have an old Lyman, and the new Lee is about 1/3 the price and works a LOT smoother. Of course it does depend on the caliber you are working with. I have the setup for .45 ACP and .357/.38, works for me!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude that link is for Lee Jeans. Lol.

·
Registered
603 Posts
He's looking at making jacketed bullets. I don't have any experience with the dies you referenced. The Corbin is the one with the good reputation and I would suggest you stay with that.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
AR guy:

I am NOT a Hawk bullet die set user but here is what I know:

The Hawk die set makes swaged bullets without a jacket. Normally that would limit your velocities as the soft lead wire used to make the bullets would lead up the barrel at any velocity even close to 1000FPS. But these Hawk die set made bullets can include a harder zinc disk on the back of the bullet that acts like a scrapper to remove lead deposited in the bore to some degree but also to protect the soft lead base from melting from the heat of combustion. These swaged bullet would be great for target loads for 38 SPL, 44 Special (or 44 Mag loaded down to Special levels), 45 ACP or any sub 1000 FPS load.

If I wanted to assure having a bullet supply I'd sure go that way. But in California, where I live, lead is a big no-no. I don't know where you could buy the lead wire. Maybe Hawk has it and could ship it to me???? At some point we here in CA may not be able to shoot any lead bullets. As of now there are areas in the state that are "NO lead bullets" areas, mostly hunting areas.

The Corbin system is to make jacketed bullets. You buy the empty jackets from Corbin and use soft lead swaged inside the jacket. There is nothing cheap or economical about making Corbin bullets, the last time I looked into them. They are more for the custom bullet maker/user. And their equipment is expensive.

LDBennett

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks LD explains a lot and easier to decipher.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
By golly steve4102 is right. You can do jacketed bullets too. 1/2 jacketed bullets as well or swaged lead bullets or swaged lead bullets with a the zinc washer on the back. This is not a bad deal at all. Many years ago my friends (who introduced me to reloading in the early 1960) use to swage bullets for 38 SPL so I am sure there are other ways of swaging bullets than just Hawk.

Years ago when I checked into Corbin bullets they highly suggested you buy their high leverage press which was expensive. The lead and the jacket parts were expensive too.

LDBennett

·
Registered
120 Posts
There are a lot of dies still around that can do "Half" jacketed bullets -- Most of these dies are usable in standard heavy duty C or O presses --
CH - Herters - SAS - hollywood to name a few --
Fact is, have a set of 44 hollywoods for sale :)
CH still provides a "Harvey protex bore" die set simular to the hawk -
The # 105 , is ther designatiom i think.
There are only a very few dies made today that squish out full jacketed bullets -
The corbins, blackmon and btsniper (castboolits site) are the ones I know.
Swaging is not economical, unless of course it is your only source --
Check corbin for cost of jackets and wire -- you can cast your own cores - There are not many sources of jackets either.
Some caliber jackets can be made from fired brass -- 22 from 22rf is easiest example -
Another point, it is a bit time consuming --
I have a couple sets of really old RCBS dies from WWII era in 22 and 25 cal that are useble in a standard press -- rockchucker -- I hope to get them back in use this year --
my tuppence

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So 50$ for the ie set is a good deal then huh?

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you want the zinc washer base lead bullet it is probably reasonable-
I did not see a price for the 3/4 jacket dies or the price or availabilty of jackets --
These dies do not make full jacketed bullets -- I don't mean fmj but typical full length open point/soft point bullets --
I don't think you posted exactly what you were seeking -- caliber, rifle or pistol -
These would be ok for half-jacket pistol - If you found a good source of jackets.
In a rifle you are making a bullet like a speer plinker --
I used the zinc washer "harvey protex bore" boolits many years ago when you cast them. You inserted the washer in the mould, then added the melt --
My tuppence

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not exactly. Following the link it appears that these dies will do jacketed bullets or lead bullets.
From a guy that bought a set...

They will do a half jacket if you can find the half jackets. They were unavailable when I purchased these dies.

I screwed up two punches trying to do what Hawk said they would do. I gave them the dimension of the jackets that I had... total waste of time.

I think that they would work perfectly for the zinc base system, but they are the wrong system for any jacket as far as my experience is concerned.

Even the strait lead pills are a pain to punch out of the dies after swaging. I will write these off and save my money for a real set of dies.

paul

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
This like most everything else is you get what you pay for. Corbin set the standard for high quality bullet production, and most of the others pale by comparison. I've found it's cheaper in the long run to buy good quality merchandise the first time. Corbin is a bit pricey, but wince at the price once and don't look back.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

1 - 13 of 13 Posts