The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stopped at my local sportsmans to grab some bullets for the .303 British, without consulting a manual for compatibilty of powder I have to bullet weight. Sooo, I grabbed some Speer 125gn spitzer as I wanted to try something different from the 174 and 180's I've done. I use H414 normally, but I cant find any data on this powder to relate with this projectile weight. Would I be seeing myself up for misery if I loaded a few up and tested them using load data from a similar powder such as Win 748? Or, do I need to go back to the store and get a new powder for this bullet weight? Thanks as always for sharing your knowledge!

· Registered
5,235 Posts
Lyman 48th has data for the 125gn SPT with 748 and a few other's. Never use data for one powder to "assume" a charge weight with another, could spell Big trouble.
I'll do some digging in other manuals and see if I can find 125gn loads with H414 for ya.

Btw, I'll be up that way in mid Jan. It won't be for long, but if you want to grab a burger and chat reloading/firearms/whatever, just let me know. I'll be staying about .25mile from the fairgrounds. My Mom lives downtown and I used to live on South Hill.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds great Woolleyworm, I'd love to meet up. PM when you'll be be in town and might have some free time, I'll get outta work... I'm downtown as well. Right across from the Fred Meyer. I'm also looking through my manuals, now but finding nothing. And I was just on Hodgdons load calculator with no suitable data. Oh well, Looks like I, NEED, to go to the fun store again... ( doesn't bother me a bit) Thanks for your input, and I'm looking forward to talking with ya face to face.

· Registered
10,062 Posts
Lighter bullets are usually paired with faster powders. Hodgdon says H4895, Varget, or H335 for the 125 gr bullet in 303 Brit. H414 is a slower powder better suited to the heavier bullets. But if you were to get H335 it can be used for both the 175-180 bullets and the 125 gr bullets.

This pairing is usually because you can not get enough slow powder in the case with a light bullet to get max velocity performance.

I reload for over 30 different cartridges (from 22 Hornet to 45-70) on a progressive press that really like spherical powders that meter better through the Dillion powder measure. I use W231 (same exact powder as HP38), IMR4227, H335, H380, H414, and sometimes H870. Those powders cover almost all 30+ cartridges.

Gun barrels are given a twist rate for the bullet weight expected to be shot in them. The heavier the bullet the faster the twist rate has to be to gyroscopically stabilize the bullets so they don't key hole in the target from tumbling in their ballistic path. When you shoot lighter bullets in the fast twist rate they are over stabilized which is not a problem if they can stand the excessive RPM's without flying apart (been there, done that!!). For example a bullet traveling at 3000 Ft/sec in a 1 in 10 inch twist (150 grain 30/06 load) spins the bullet at 216,000 RPM. Be prepared for the 125 gr bullet to maybe fly apart and have terrible accuracy.

Finally, don't ever experiment with loads outside of the manual published loads or the Powder/Bullet company internet loads. That means no loads from your buddies or some guy on the internet. If it is not published by a reloading company then don't use it! Break out of the norm and you may get a visit to the local hospital or loose the gun.

LDBennett

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great to know LD, thank you. I really didn't state the question properly in my o.p. And you answered it... Why is one powder good for for one projectile and not another. I will not be loading the 125 speer's with the H414, however I will be heading to sportsmans a couple time this coming week to pick up some of the powders you listed, after seeing which will work with the calibers I load. Those are what I want, multi purpose powders. I reload for only 4 now, but expand on that number monthly as finances allow. Thank you. I'm about a year into reloading, and can say that it has become my happy place. I can't express how much I appreciate the freely offered guidance and expertice on this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.