The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the different weights ,are heavier bullets better? I'm using 115 gr. for my 9mm. Is there a benefit to go heavier

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Bullet performance can get really technical and advanced with, design, profile, construction, speed, mass, energy, penetration, reliable function, etc, & etc. All far from my comprehension. Personally I just prefer heavy for caliber bullets. I like the idea of a heavy hammer even if it is moving slower than a light fast hammer.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Todd has a good philosophy. And his method can be applied to most handgun rounds.

Speaking lead, go heavy.. Jacketed really doesn't matter, just shoot what your pistol likes.

For 9mm I have always favored 124 gr projectiles.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I agree with both the above. if you have a specific need, do the research to pick and test for the correct bullet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What do you want from your bullet?
Accuracy? Then you "might" be better off with a 121-125gn bullet.
Terminal performance? Then you "might" want a 100gn JHP or a 140gn LSWC.
Recoil that is more a push than a snap? Then you "might" want a 147gn bullet and a light load of fast powder.
Plinking, fun? The 115gn is as good as any other and better than many.
What does your gun prefer? Place a small "trial package" order with a commercial caster (mastercastbullets.com, Missouri bullets, Penn bullets, and others) and see what your gun likes.
My Browning Hi Power is most accurate with light (<115gn) bullets. My CZs prefer 124gn bullets. My S&W prefers 140-147gn bullets.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Let your gun tell you. My Ruger P94 shoots 115 just fine, 124 so so but 147 gr is slightly more accurate at 25 yards so that is my duty load. I shoot mostly 115's for practice because I got a load of them cheap but 147 is still my go to round.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is a great article in the new American Rifleman that deserves a read.Has to do with bullit expansion and barrell lenght.I have never considered this aspect of inpact and expansion before.This only applies if using for defence applications.Short barrell-light bullit weight for expansion on target.Great read!!OOPS,must have been February Issue-went back to read again and not in March issue-sorry!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts