The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we missed the snow, but got the cold NW wind. Went with my eldest son and three friends and 5 great beagles. I'm moving slower than usual and hadn't even gotten to the wood line when they started. I don't know of a more wonderful sound than beagles on a rabbit. High pitched yelps, low pitched howls, and a mixture in between. If there is anything out there that fills that spectrum, I haven't heard it.
We had two rabbits that ran for over 45 minutes with the dogs in hot pursuit. We started at noon, braved the wind and cold, and enjoyed a 5 rabbit hunt by 4 pm. Two of them are in my fridge waiting for a transformation into a German rabbit stew my mother handed down.
Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Great days hunting..Beagles, bassets, the sounds of the hounds. I hunted one time with people who told me it wasn't worth keeping a dog all year, just to hunt for a couple of months. I don't hunt with them anymore. Just listening to the dogs working out a trail, is all the pay-off I need. When my granddaughter was very young, her teacher talked negatively about hunting with dogs. After an interesting afternoon with the dogs, she realized the dogs never catch the rabbit. I now have company when I run the dogs. Great music! I now prefer Bassets, but that's what makes horse races. Opinion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.