The Firearms Forum banner

Burn Ring removal on front of cylinder.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TheGunClinger 
#1 ·
I just has such a pleasant surprise that I wanted to share it with anyone that might benefit.

My S&W 637 snub nose airweight revolver had black burn marks on the front of the stainless steel cylinder, and the "forcing cone" was pretty black also.

None of the conventional cleaning aids I typically use (Hoppe's, Hoppe's Elite, CLP) worked very well at cleaning those black burn rings off. I wasn't about to take a bronze brush to those areas fearing I might scratch the outside of the cylinder or other easily seen areas. Yeah I know bronze is softer than stainless but ....

Finally while at Sportsman's Warehouse I noticed "Birchwood Casey "Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth". Claimed to Quickly remove Leading, Burn Rings and Carbon Residue. Yeah, Sure! But having no other solutions I gave it a try.

I was in for a very pleasant surprise. I cut about an inch off of the end of the 9" x 12" cloth and started gently wiping the front of the cylinder. Using small circular strokes, not pressing very hard. Short story .... it worked. It worked really really well. Took no time at all.

The revolver looks brand new and it took less than two minutes to wipe away all of the burn rings and the black crud around the forcing cone. It left the front of the cylinder well polished with no hint of scratches or abrasion. The cloth didn't feel abrasive either so I had no worry about removing material that shouldn't be removed. I don't know what Birchwood Casey uses to impregnate that cloth but for burn marks and rings, it is sheer magic. At least on stainless steel.

It isn't often that I run across a product that is far better than I expected or had hoped for. So I thought I'd mention it here.

See less See more
#4 ·
This "magical" cloth will, with continued use, remove the bluing from wherever it is used. It usage is best reserved for stainless guns.
So far I have used it on just my stainless guns. I dont have but a few blued guns but my nephew has some that I clean for him cause he is sorta LAZY and I havnt tried the cloth on them. Good thing to know, Popeye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.