Burning the American Flag Poll and Opinion

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 76Highboy, Nov 29, 2016.

Should Burning the American Flag be a Crime

Poll closed Dec 4, 2016.
  1. Burning the American flag is protected by the 1st Amendment

51.2%
  2. Burning the American flag will be cause for deportation or possibly worse

48.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

IMO, it should be illegal to burn the American flag in disrespect. Many say that we should be able to because of the first amendment but the way I look at it is two ways.

First, better men died for our freedoms and they paid the ultimate cost. That should never be thrown in their faces. A good countrymen honors his fallen and the flag should always be held high.

Second, hate speech is a crime and burning the American flag is certainly hate speech. It is an expression of hate and it should not be tolerated. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

A man can go to jail for saying saying certain ethnic words but the libs can burn the flag and get away with it.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

IMO, if they burn the flag don't jail them because I do not want to support them. Instead trade them to another country for another immigrant who would be proud to wave our flag.

If I were king I would deport them but there would be a stern warning to flag burners. The law would be: You will be deported by your government if caught burning the flag however, if the Americans catch you first you will fall into their hands for settlement unto them. Tread lightly!

Highboy

Gun Geezer, georgerc, Laird and 12 others like this.
  2. Awtoman

Awtoman Well-Known Member

I try to hope that the Supreme Court made the right decision when they ruled flag desecration legal under the 1st Amendment, as distasteful and disrespectful on so many levels it is to me. But I think they need to add a 1st Amendment Section 2, that states that no criminal charges can be filed for beating the chit out of someone who does so.

Tom

3. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Burning your nation's flag is disrespectful no matter what country you are from.
    I think in China , you get ten years behind bars if you are lucky.

4. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

If someone sets fire to the American flag I should be able to set fire to them.

5. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

If i remember right when the court commented on that law there is a section "unless it causes a riot." Now I'm not sure if the Supreme Court has stated how many people it takes to be a riot. I say its 3. Me, My self and I.

6. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

Burning the American flag should not be protected under freedom of speech. I had a stupid ill mannered collage professor tell it it was protected under the 1st amendment, but, I think people can find other ways to protest or defy the government without slapping all veterans and the men and women who currently serve in the face.
    To many Americans have given up far to much for anyone to feel the right to burn the flag, if you feel you know better then the government, then think of a better way to voice your opinion. Flying the flag upside down should be as far as the one should ever dare go, and even that should be done sparingly.

7. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

Anyone who publicly desecrates the flag should be charged with attempted suicide.:mad:;)

If you went to parts of San Antonio and burned the Mexican flag, you would probably be charged with inciting a riot.

8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I went to our comunity Christmas parade tonight.
    I was sitting along the parade route when the Color Guard came by with the American Flag and I was shocked that there was two bicycle police on bull horns right bt the flag, making jokes with the crowd and talking while the flag was going by.

I stook up, alone at first and took my hat off and presented a civilian salute to the flag as it passed and at least most of the adult people in the crowd around me at least shut up, but the kids just kept on talking.
    I was pissed off about that.

Now I am reminded of what the late Antonin Scalia wrote only about a year ago regarding burning the flag

“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag,” Scalia said. “But I am not king.”

He made several comments about his distaste for burning of the flag, but in his role as a jurist on the SCOTUS, he ruled in favor in two cases of flag burning as a sign of protest. It is simply protected speech

I am with Scalia, I personally detest it and if I were king , I might lock people up for it. But the Bill of Rights protects it, even if we disagree. Think of the muslims who attack and kill people for drawing pictures of moohamid.... I don't want to live in a world like that
    I spent time in the military protecting peoples rights, and some of the rights are to do some things I don't agree with.

9. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

Flag burning is speech that only tries to "inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace." which is not protected speech. (Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire) There are other ways to express the views that are socially acceptable. Police ought to charge flag burners with disturbing the peace or something like that.

10. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

I hate to say that I feel that it is protected under the first amendment, but I do have to say it. If we start to pick and choose what we allow to say/express, we might as well open up the invite to the moonbat libs to pick and choose which guns to allow ad which to disallow. That's the way it was put across to me by my black drill sergeant down there in Georgia, anyway.

11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

I can understand where the first amendment gives them the freedom to burn the flag. I heard a veteran say one day that the reason he served was so those people could have free speech. I just find it so disrespectful to burn what stands for your freedom.

It is hard to swallow.

Highboy

12. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

Maybe we make HighBoy "King for a day" . . . or two, and he can punish all those that desecrate the flag in protest against our military or the way of life afforded by military sacrifice and I volunteer to be the Court's Jester so I can scream "OFF WITH THIER HEADS!"

Then in a more civilized manner, just before King Highboy abdicates his throne he should mandate the Pledge of Allegiance in school every morning, mandate civics classes that spend less time on "individual rights" and more time on patriotism, and return to the time when Judges had the power to look a young man in the eye and say "choose, jail or enlist, you're going to do four years either way!"

13. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Agreed.

14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Nobody needs constitutional recognition of the right to communicate in a manner that doesn't offend. The First Amendment is specifically for communication that is controversial.

15. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

I agree Highboy. Without hesitation. I also find it very disrespectful, if people had the intelligence that they claim to have, they could find a more intelligent way to put forward their argument. I can't stomach the idea of someone burning our flag that I wouldn't even consider the idea of burning anyone else's flag, but that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.