The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the value of what I got here?
In a walnut box, in red velvet I have 4 little guns all in series; B56180 through
B56184. Inscription says; 22 Cal short, Butler Assoc., Inc., N.H. Ct. USA.
They all have the riffling but no lining in the inner barrel. One chrome with mother-of-pearl handle, one gold with mother-of-pearl handle, one blue steel (black) with walnut handle and the fourth is gold and blue steel with walnut handle. I never fired any of them, had them since 1986. The guy I got them from said he had them for several years and only fired one of them once.
Got any idea what is worth and how do I go about getting the most for them?
Thank you.
Rick
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
In 1959 Colt introduced the Number Four Derringer, very similar to their 1800's Number Three, except the new derringers were chambered in .22 Short. Made for display only,although many were used for tin can pinking. Made from a Zinc alloy with out barrel liners the rifling was soon history ( I've been told some of the derringers did have liners ). These were offered in a number of different formats, cased sets, Lord and Lady sets, as non fireing sets, and even set in clear plastic and sold as decorator book ends. Colt did not make the guns, that job was farmed out to Butler. In 1978 when Colt droped the No 4, Butler then made the small guns under their own name untill the early 1980's. Any type of valid value is hard to pin down, Most reference books don't even list the Butler guns and nothing I have lists a 4 gun set. You can try google under Butler number 4 Derringer or Colt Number 4 derringers and bowse the various for sale sites, perhaps others have more input on value.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts